Search the forum,

Discuss ratchet pipeslice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The plastic pipe cutter in the video looks very good quality and that Jet Swet thing, allthough a bit of a gimmick could be handy too.

The plastic pipe cutter in the video looks very good quality and that Jet Swet thing, allthough a bit of a gimmick could be handy too.

The ratchet pipe cutter is actually all metal inside. I've had to buy a couple of spare wheels since I've had it but it really saves your knuckles! I've also got the Jet Swets, haven't used them much to be honest but they save me 45 mins of mucking around when flushing a gravity system. I stick one in the fill to plug it up and then a speed fit on the vent and can start flushing straight away. It saves draining out the F and E and then having to cut and cap the fill. Then I can bail out the F and E at my leisure, really does save time.

like the look of this though looks like my old hilmor

Attachments

• NT4235-angle-.jpg
    NT4235-angle-.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 93
I think it looks like my Rems one ?
Have you seen CORGI's ratchet wrenches too ? I must admit, I'm a bit of a new tool fanatic but they are blinking good.

I think it looks like my Rems one ?
Have you seen CORGI's ratchet wrenches too ? I must admit, I'm a bit of a new tool fanatic but they are blinking good.
ratchet wrenches?nah bacho all the way micky

ratchet wrenches?nah bacho all the way micky
Mr Gasman, bahco good, irega better! Not cheap mind you as you know. I thought the ratchet wrench was a gimmick but it's actually really good. Ultimately, maybe not Bahco quality but I suppose that a fair bit of the money I paid for the ratchet unit went into the ratchet itself, something obviously Bahco don't have to consider.

Mr Gasman, bahco good, irega better! Not cheap mind you as you know. I thought the ratchet wrench was a gimmick but it's actually really good. Ultimately, maybe not Bahco quality but I suppose that a fair bit of the money I paid for the ratchet unit went into the ratchet itself, something obviously Bahco don't have to consider.
if it works ok then fair bit of kit does it need oiling regularly?

if it works ok then fair bit of kit does it need oiling regularly?
Fair question, the only time I give it a jab of WD40 is if it's got exceptionally wet. It was 25 odd quid, it might not be that forgiving if I don't keep it 40'd so I don't take the chance.
Have you ever come across their plier wrenches ? Similar to the knipex plier wrench. Great looking concept, 45 pounds a pop though !

Fair question, the only time I give it a jab of WD40 is if it's got exceptionally wet. It was 25 odd quid, it might not be that forgiving if I don't keep it 40'd so I don't take the chance.
Have you ever come across their plier wrenches ? Similar to the knipex plier wrench. Great looking concept, 45 pounds a pop though !
cant say i have got a link?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=knipex%20plier%20wrench&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CH8QtwIwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D1_RLWKMXrqk&ei=BcLwT5u1GaLS0QXhz9HDDg&usg=AFQjCNHFdHfaxWR_cAQFqrkYE4XaE3CBoA

I think I've done it right! Basically, parallel flat jaws, whatever load you put on the handles is multiplied by 10. Imagine it as an adjustable spanner that you can actually increase the jaw tightness on. Never slip. Never.
they look the dogs but i have used the alligator for donkeys years,would be hard for me to convert

they look the dogs but i have used the alligator for donkeys years,would be hard for me to convert
But the alligator is a different tool completely, their grips whilst the other one is a spanner.

Must say I like the look of them.

Am I wrong or are the Alligators jaws fitted with teeth ? I think the argument that Knipex etc are using is that because the handles on the standard format of pump pliers are direct action (no lever multiplication ) then they need the teeth to get the grip because jaw clamping force isn't sufficient in itself to grip the fitting. Also, with direct action ( non parallel jaws) then even if you took the teeth of off the pump pliers then the chances of your jaws being perfectly parallel with the flats of the hex fitting is zero. Also, my train of thought is why would I ever use toothed pump pliers on a fitting if there was an alternative ? Having played with some that my buddy has got, it's a bit like being in the situation where a nut is so seized, it is untrue. So, you put your best Bahco's or Irega's or whatever on the nut and are pushing like crazy thinking that any second it's going to slip and destroy your knuckles. Well, with these, you would simple squeeze a little tighter knowing that whatever you're doing is multiplied by 10 ! I think it's the sort of tool that give you confidence to undo anything, no matter how tight. Just my opinion though.

tbh been in this game a long time anything with a ratchet dont impress me much those robogrips where one cack example (ask tamz his views ) if i caNT UNDO IT WITH A KNIPEX OR BACHOS I EITHER GET OUT THE FOOTPRINTS OR THE STILSONS,a stillsons never fails especially when it has a bar or hammer on the end of it,but if this ratchet stuff works for you and makes you more efficient then good on you,it has after all taken me 4 years to see the virtues of a oscillating cutter

tbh been in this game a long time anything with a ratchet dont impress me much those robogrips where one cack example (ask tamz his views ) if i caNT UNDO IT WITH A KNIPEX OR BACHOS I EITHER GET OUT THE FOOTPRINTS OR THE STILSONS,a stillsons never fails especially when it has a bar or hammer on the end of it,but if this ratchet stuff works for you and makes you more efficient then good on you,it has after all taken me 4 years to see the virtues of a oscillating cutter
There's another debate, stilsons, rigid, footprints .... Thank heavens for the choice !

If it is made (rebranded) by rothenberg it is shyte and robogrips must have been at the top of the shyte list!

If you want a decent set of adjustable cutters look for these
151_Tubing_Cutter_3C.jpg
They used to have (well mine have) an alloy handle but i see they are now plastic. I suppose that is what is called progress!
The knipex (K nipex!!! why don't they get someone who can say the word to advertise it) grips in the link above are good (for polished fittings) but no better gripping (infact probably less so) than a set of alligators or cobras. Mine only get used on chrome nuts and the like.
If you want something that will never ever slip because it is an impossibility, use stilsons.

If it is made (rebranded) by rothenberg it is shyte and robogrips must have been at the top of the shyte list!

If you want a decent set of adjustable cutters look for these
View attachment 7074
They used to have (well mine have) an alloy handle but i see they are now plastic. I suppose that is what is called progress!
The knipex (K nipex!!! why don't they get someone who can say the word to advertise it) grips in the link above are good (for polished fittings) but no better gripping (infact probably less so) than a set of alligators or cobras. Mine only get used on chrome nuts and the like.
If you want something that will never ever slip because it is an impossibility, use stilsons.

The knipex type are only meant for fittings, no good on a bit of barrel, obviously. Give them a try, really, so much tighter grip than alligators or cobras. I'm working with my buddy today that's got a set, I video a short demo if I can. They are good guys.

stilsons and foot prints lock on end of story but i can see the cam action spanner looks good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ratchet pipeslice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock