Discuss Radiator with negative pressure on both ends in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pf79

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone had come across previously a radiator that appears to be under negative pressure from both Flow and Return ends.

Back story:
Moved into a property with a Gravity Feed HW and pumped CH system. The pump is located on the return side of the CH. Downstairs radiators are supplied from pipework in the concrete flooring.
Currently having a few issues getting the upstairs radiators to warm fully, especially my daughters room which is furthest from the boiler.
Did the usual thing of bleeding the radiators but to no avail. Actually first time round I bled them with the pump running, which caused air to be sucked into the radiator, which indicated that system was under negative pressure. Did them again without pump which filled the radiators but still not much heat. Noticed as well that some of the radiators had cold spots on them as well, so chucked in some cleaner, left it to run and set about this weekend draining the system and cleaning each radiator out with the garden hose.
Put it all back together, refilled from the drain point using garden hose in an attempt to push any air upwards that may be trapped and bled fully. Still no heat in my daughters room, even with all the other radiators turned off.
Took her radiator off again and switched pump off. Opened valves on both sides into a bucket to check the flow rate. Both seemed fine and water was coming out clean.
Turned pump back on again to see what would happen.
Here is the oddity
Opened what I expected to be the return and it sucked water out of the bucket.
Opened the flow and this too sucked water out of the bucket.

Now I would have thought that only one side would be able to suck water and the other would push water out due to circulation.

Is this normal???

Any advice welcome

Thanks

pf79

Sounds like a 1 pipe system with Daughters radiator on the negative side of the pump.

Thanks for the reply snowhead.
It didn't even cross my mind that it could be a single pipe system.

I'll have to rip some of the floor up to confirm.

We are going to need a new boiler soon, so if it is a single pipe system I'll get a quote for replacing the lot with a 2 pipe system.

Thanks again.

pf79

Hi,

Thanks to everyone that replied.
Had someone in to take a look today and discovered 2 corroded Non-Return Values on the Flow pipe to upstairs.
These have been stripped out and replaced with a single length of 22mm, which seems to have fixed it.
All radiators are now red hot. The negative pressure must have been caused by the restricted flow-rate on the Flow pipe.

Thanks again.

pf79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator with negative pressure on both ends in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back