Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Radiator Valve Sizes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum' started by AWJD, Jan 9, 2017.

Discuss Radiator Valve Sizes in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. AWJD

AWJD New Member

I tried to adjust the lockshield valve on my 15 year kitchen radiator and it started leaking. I therefore decided to replace it and thought this would be a straightforward job. Unfortunately, the thread on the old valve appeared to be about 1" in diameter as was the nut on the radiator outlet.

I went round to our local Graham Plumbing merchant and nobody there seemed to have ever come across a radiator with this size valve before. If I can't find a suitable valve or converter then this radiator will need to be replaced which seems a little bit drastic.

Is the world going mad or is there a plumber out there who can offer me a solution?

2. rocketmanbkk

rocketmanbkk Plumber

Post a pic of the valve. You might need. Valve & rad tail

A pic will tell a thousand words

3. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Most new radiator valves are 1/2 inch, thread/ 15mm copper. You have a union type radiator valve. These are 1". The trouble is that there are lots of different types of these, so you are better off removing the tail ( the bit in the rad) and use the tail that comes with a new valve.

• Like Like x 1
  4. COHIBA1207

COHIBA1207 New Member

Hi 3/4" on domestic is normally the biggest on a rad this age
    Commercial valves can be bigger for black iron fitting
    try using brass bushes or reducers to get to the correct size if there is enough room on the pipework
    use a good seal prob PTFE as bushes and reducers are often not tapered

5. turnpin

turnpin Trusted Plumber

Welcome AWJD to the forum's....any chance of a picture of the valve as it could be helpful with your enquiry...regards Turnpin :welcome:

6. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It's a lockshield Union mate

7. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Welcome to the forum.

Bit of an over kill isn`t? Bushes and fittings can be parallel or tapered threads and easy for an amateur to get wrong.

8. AWJD

AWJD New Member

I attempted to load a picture of the valve via the 'Image' icon but, after selecting the file, the update file(s) link didn't work. Could someone please explain what is going wrong?

9. AWJD

AWJD New Member

Not sure the upload of the picture worked but if it did it shows the Lockshield valve with 1" thread. .

Rad_Valve.jpg

10. ShaunCorbs

Stnd drain off lockshield, if it's leaking where the ptfe tape is wants some compound on it

• Like Like x 1
  11. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Take the picture on your phone to screwfix with you they sell them fitted one today it's a standard valve bud

12. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Isn`t it an O-ring to make the seal?

13. ShaunCorbs

No mating surface like big gate valves

• Like Like x 1
  14. AWJD

AWJD New Member

This valve has reached the end of its life and was leaking underneath where it's now covered in black RTV silicon. As said, the problem in replacing it is that it appears to have a 1" thread on the radiator outlet which must have been common when I fitted it 15 years ago. This size fitting no longer seems to be available unless someone knows better?

15. ShaunCorbs

We have told you it's a stnd lock shield drain off

http://www.screwfix.com/p/chrome-an...ff/36552#product_additional_details_container

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017