Discuss Radiator Thermostat controls - are they obligatory? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bennymouse

Hello -joined this forum to try and get some sensible info.
My boiler has died and the first guy who's come to quote has told me I have to have rad thermostats on all my radiators (I have 12) to comply with the latest legislation.
Surely this has got to be rubbish? I only want a new boiler, but he says if gas safe check his work they will ask why he's not done his job properly. I just cannot believe this is true - is it???

hi, yes he's right you will need stats on all rads except 1,usually where the room stat is,
you will also need a thermostat on the wall if you haven't got one..

Last edited:
Firstly, he's right "Thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) on all radiators (except in the room with the room thermostat) on new systems. When replacing a boiler, TRVs are required on at least the bedroom radiators and preferably on all (again with the exception of the room with the thermostat)" Building regulations Part L.

Secondly, if you think he's talking rubbish before he's quoted, you might wish to save him the time and cost of quoting.

Firstly, he's right "Thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) on all radiators (except in the room with the room thermostat) on new systems. When replacing a boiler, TRVs are required on at least the bedroom radiators and preferably on all (again with the exception of the room with the thermostat)" Building regulations Part L.

Secondly, if you think he's talking rubbish before he's quoted, you might wish to save him the time and cost of quoting.

Actually that's why it was a question - ? ...and If a plumber isn't prepared to do a written quote - and you usually get three, then he obviously does not want the work in the first place!
Think the question's been answered, however it still seems nonsensical to me, just another government initiative to generate taxable work that's not wanted.
As a footnote, I'd just phoned my plumbers merchants and they agreed it is correct but added - 'but he's being a jobsworth though and plenty of plumbers will fit the boiler without the stats".

He's suggesting I have a wireless thermostat - that can be in any room at all as its mobile - so which room if any/all do you leave the stat off??

Hello -joined this forum to try and get some sensible info.
My boiler has died and the first guy who's come to quote has told me I have to have rad thermostats on all my radiators (I have 12) to comply with the latest legislation.
Surely this has got to be rubbish? I only want a new boiler, but he says if gas safe check his work they will ask why he's not done his job properly. I just cannot believe this is true - is it???

Why would you want a new all singing all dancing boiler and then try to run it on an old fashioned type system.

You should learn to trust the people you invite into your home to quote for things, not everyone is out there to rip people off.

Just to add, you will probably find somebody who will ignore the regulations and fit the boiler without trv's and a room stat, but that doesn't make it right.

If you don't have trv's and a room stat, then your heating will be on full pelt all the time it's in and only the boiler stat will control the radiator temperature, this will cost a fortune and isn't very efficient.

Get the job done properly and everyone's happy :)

Just to add, you will probably find somebody who will ignore the regulations and fit the boiler without trv's and a room stat, but that doesn't make it right.

If you don't have trv's and a room stat, then your heating will be on full pelt all the time it's in and only the boiler stat will control the radiator temperature, this will cost a fortune and isn't very efficient.

Get the job done properly and everyone's happy :)

I don't think you quite understand -
Firstly as I said in the first post - it was a question to establish if I was being told the truth. Just dealing with your point about 'not everyone tries to rip you off' - correct but as you infer some tradesmen do - and the more knowledge I have the less likely it will be that they succeed! I have two more plumbers to quote yet so I now have a better knowledge to work from.
Secondly - the boiler I have asked for does include a 'wireless' thermostat which would stop the boiler running at full pelt all the time - am I right?
I already have stats on 3 rads but not on all of them, and when I read that stats will save me around £10 a year on bills - I'll probably be dead by the time I get my money back! So what is the point?
Thirdly - there is already a confusion on this thread as one of the other posters says I only have to have stats on the bedrooms and not on all radiators - if that's correct then that will mean I need 3 more and not 9 more?

The point Tom is making is that it will save you money & give you increased comfort levels in all the rooms of the house.
The repayment time on the cost of installing them when the system is already drained down is small, after a couple of years you will have paid for them & be into profit.

The question should be why would you not want to install them !!!! (based on gas fired heating, if it is anything else it will be quicker).

BTW it is TRV's on all rads upstairs & down unless some other similar form of control (Part L1B 2013).

Lets hope his house is not over 150M2 Floor area cos he would have kittens if told it needs two heating zones LOL

Last edited:
I don't think you quite understand -
Firstly as I said in the first post - it was a question to establish if I was being told the truth. Just dealing with your point about 'not everyone tries to rip you off' - correct but as you infer some tradesmen do - and the more knowledge I have the less likely it will be that they succeed! I have two more plumbers to quote yet so I now have a better knowledge to work from.
Secondly - the boiler I have asked for does include a 'wireless' thermostat which would stop the boiler running at full pelt all the time - am I right?
I already have stats on 3 rads but not on all of them, and when I read that stats will save me around £10 a year on bills - I'll probably be dead by the time I get my money back! So what is the point?
Thirdly - there is already a confusion on this thread as one of the other posters says I only have to have stats on the bedrooms and not on all radiators - if that's correct then that will mean I need 3 more and not 9 more?

No, you're right. I don't understand. It's only my job after all :)

do what you like its your property, but trv's on all bar one radiator is the correct way.

A wireless room stat will control the heat coming from the boiler yes, but it will heat all the radiators in all the rooms, so you'll be paying for heating in rooms that don't require it.

OP. Please be aware that we do understand you.

Please do not get shirty with us as you will lose.

No, you're right. I don't understand. It's only my job after all :)

do what you like its your property, but trv's on all bar one radiator is the correct way.

A wireless room stat will control the heat coming from the boiler yes, but it will heat all the radiators in all the rooms, so you'll be paying for heating in rooms that don't require it.

I'm sure you're all experienced plumbers - which is why I asked the question here? I can't help it you choose to take my comments the wrong way.
However as I said earlier I've got two conflicting views here one thinks its only the bedrooms need stats another says every room, one who think's its terrible I ask someone to waste their time on a quote and one who accuses me of being 'cheeky' - not sure how me pointing out a conflict of opinion between yourselves is me being cheeky?

To make matters worse the second plumber has just arrived and tells me something completely different to the first - both seem reliable and are part of a specific boiler 'preferential scheme'.

I guess the only thing I have worked out from this is I have to have valves - now just simply answer, everywhere or just the bedrooms? And as I asked before in post 5, but no-one answered does having wireless thermostat effect where they go?

Finally Croppie - not sure what you mean by 'lose' - I'm not being 'shirtie' just trying to get a question answered, didn't realise it was a fight!

I mean you should pick your battles carefully. I can, if you upset us, make you and this thread disappear completely.

However, as I have my nice head on and I'll thank you to put yours on, I'll point you at a free downloadable copy of the Approved Document part L which clearly and catagorically lays down what should form your new heating system and which your plumbers should be installing as part of your heating upgrade.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_L1B_2011.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator Thermostat controls - are they obligatory? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock