Discuss Radiator not heating - kinked or blocked? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pixie

I have a radiator that doesn't work properly, it's upstairs, furthest away from the boiler (Vaillant Combi 831). When the heating system is on and the effected radiator is turned on fully, it is warm on the bottom left hand side of the radiator (and the flexible plastic pipe attached to the valve there).

The thermostatic value is on the right hand side of the radiator. I thought the thermostatic value side of the radiator was where the hot water came in, but the flexible plastic pipe leading in to the valve from out the wall there doesn't get hot at all.

All the radiator have been bled. I have tried turning all the other radiators off and fully opening the valve on the left hand side of the affected radiator (with thermostat value on right set to fully open/hot). When I do this the radiator and pipe on the left no longer get warm at all. From what I read, I was expecting it to still be warm, if not the radiator to heat up throughout.

If I turn the one of the other (or all other) radiators back on, the bottom left of the radiator and the pipe heat up again.

I think it might be a kinked pipe (no idea where it would be, under floorboards?), or if it's clogged I could try flushing the radiator, just not sure which option to try first.

Unscrew the thermostatic radiator valve head and give the little pin a few taps. Sounds like its stuck shut.

Unscrew the thermostatic radiator valve head and give the little pin a few taps. Sounds like its stuck shut.
Recently had them replaced, have double checked to be sure, seems to moving fine though, not stuck.

Then the only thing you can do is isolate both ends of the rad, remove it, open each valve into a bucket or bowl to check there's flow from each. You can then refit rad and vent it.

Then the only thing you can do is isolate both ends of the rad, remove it, open each valve into a bucket or bowl to check there's flow from each. You can then refit rad and vent it.

Thanks, will try that before lifting any floorboards etc! Do I have to drain the radiator first? How long would you check the flow for on each side?

Thanks, will try that before lifting any floorboards etc! Do I have to drain the radiator first? How long would you check the flow for on each side?

Drain the water in the rad into ice cream tubs and into a bucket and get the rad outside out the way. Check the valves for a couple of seconds. Make sure you know how to repressurise your boiler tho before you do any of this or you'll end up in the cacka.

Drain the water in the rad into ice cream tubs and into a bucket and get the rad outside out the way. Check the valves for a couple of seconds. Make sure you know how to repressurise your boiler tho before you do any of this or you'll end up in the cacka.
Thanks, I can re-pressurize, will give it go this weekend! :)

I normally do the same test but without draining the rad & taking it off the wall. I remove the air vent & fit an mic onto a hose into a bucket, open up the flow & it should flow nicely into the bucket & then try the on the trv valve! If the pipe is blocked or kinked you will get no flow or very little!!

I couldn't get the valve untightened on the thermostat side, but I unscrewed the plastic feed pipe. On the bathroom radiator (that is cold) the water didn't really flow so much as drip out, a constant drip drip drip every second or so. On the landing radiator (which also stays cold) the water came out the pipe as more of a flow. The water out of both pipes was a bit murky, browny coloured but not very dark. There were a few little black flecks/sediment out of the landing radiator :/

EDIT: I opened the valves on both sides and now both radiators are not ice cold (as they were previously!) The valve that the thermostat is attached to is hot, and the radiator is warm on bottom corner next to this. They're slightly warm all over, warmest being at the top (but in no way hot, more like when radiators are cooling down a while after being turned off or just starting to heat up, if that makes sense!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator not heating - kinked or blocked? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock