Search the forum,

Discuss Quietly asking a question (don't all shout at me) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yorki

Hi
(this may be the start of a war as I've never read a plumbing book yet!)
Having introduced myself in the New Members section, I'll now proceed with my questions or some may say Brain Picking as I'm not a plumber or CH engineer.
My daughters house has an old CH system which I is a gravity fed system.. Anyway the CH heats 2 only radiators in the kitchen and the living room. (The house has 2 rooms upstairs the living room, kitchen, hall and bathroom are downstairs with the boiler in the kitchen)
Now I’m hoping to buy a kit ( rads, valves, boiler, pipe etc) and using an On-Line calculator, workout the size of the rad required using the room and window sizes to try for the correct wattage.. ( I know this may be OTT, )
Q1 First question is which is best, Copper pipe or the microbore.
Q2. Which size of pipe. (further rad approx 10mts away)
Q3. If microbore, I was thinking of fitting a manifold downstairs to feed downstairs and from the same manifold feed a smaller manifold upstairs. Would this be correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
q1 the best install is always in soldered copper. if your not experienced in soldering use pushfit - tho dont use it close to the boiler, just leave ends within 1.5 metres for your gsi to connect.
q2 if your doing it as a diy project, leave 22mm stubs near your boiler, run them to the middle of the house then install a microbpre manifold, and then run 10mm pipe to each rad individually
q3 just use one manifold - as above

i would first call in your boiler installer to discuss boiler options and pipework runs, let him advise you and listen to him, he will be the bloke looking after your system and giving you a yearly service, he will also want a disclaimer saying your responsible for the wet pipework (if he's any good)

good luck

hi there, welcome to the forum.

i did not realise that you could buy a d.i.y boiler kit with built in efficiency calculator, or is it a mears one?.

hi there, welcome to the forum.

i did not realise that you could buy a d.i.y boiler kit with built in efficiency calculator, or is it a mears one?.
Have you seen the price of a mears? £70+ :eek:

the kits in the sheds that they sell for not much come with a double sided printed a4 piece of paper that tells you everything you need to know!!
boiler, 8 rads , valves, copper, fittings and piece of a4 for 800 quid. almost worth weighing it in.

the kits in the sheds that they sell for not much come with a double sided printed a4 piece of paper that tells you everything you need to know!!
boiler, 8 rads , valves, copper, fittings and piece of a4 for 800 quid. almost worth weighing it in.
wow, i really didnt know that. i will take a look sometime.
this is what we buy our stuf at, better quality obviously were not talking ravenheats here.
£8-900 parts.
£800 knowledge.
£400 2 man labour.

can you spot where the savings can be made shaun?.

Its ok guy's you can now sleep soundly in your beds at night and not worry. I've now found my daughters man's cousin is a qualified CH Engineer and can certify the job after competion. Phew! that takes the pressure off me. As I also only have to pay for materials which he shall pick and supply. Therfore no kit required, also Labour is free..........:D
I can now concentrate on what I know best, which is the re-wire, alarm, tv, phone and network
Also thanks for all of your contributions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quietly asking a question (don't all shout at me) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock