Search the forum,

Discuss Questions About Pumping Seperate Hot Supply To Kitchen Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

woodbine

Re. Previous post http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/4000-poor-hot-flow-sink-mixer-bungalow.html

We have decided that we may try putting a seperate pumped feed to the hot side of the kitchen mixer to make up for poor flow rate. This will be pumped from the vented hot water cylinder. My questions are;

What is easiest to fit for someone who has never fitted one before, an Essex, a Surrey flange, or a Warix, etc?

If I fit a Surrey/Warix to the top of the tank, do I need to alter the position or replace the existing horizontal main hot outlet pipe at the top of the cylinder?

Can anyone recommend a single pump (single impeller??) for just pumping the hot water only?

Can I take the elec. feed for pump from immersion switch?

Is this plan a good idea, is it sensible/practical? :confused:

Re. Previous post http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/4000-poor-hot-flow-sink-mixer-bungalow.html

We have decided that we may try putting a seperate pumped feed to the hot side of the kitchen mixer to make up for poor flow rate. This will be pumped from the vented hot water cylinder. My questions are;

What is easiest to fit for someone who has never fitted one before, an Essex, a Surrey flange, or a Warix, etc?

If I fit a Surrey/Warix to the top of the tank, do I need to alter the position or replace the existing horizontal main hot outlet pipe at the top of the cylinder?

Hi Woodbine
I am quite new in this game, but I have fitted a Surrey flange to the cylinder and adjusted pipework to suit,and it was quite easy(even with minimal experience).I have no experience of any of the other flange types,I have heard that there is one that requires you to make a hole part the way down the cylinder(possibly Essex flange.I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).
Salamander pumps come with a very good guide and very helpful technical department.Look them up.

Can anyone recommend a single pump (single impeller??) for just pumping the hot water only?

Can I take the elec. feed for pump from immersion switch?
As far as I'm aware the immersion heater has to be on its own independent 16 amp MCB circuit wired directly from the consumer unit
Is this plan a good idea, is it sensible/practical? :confused:
Hope this helps you

The immersion isolator can be swapped out for a switched spur and fused down accordingly.

However, if you choose this approach then should your boiler fail, you wont have any hot water, unless of course, you swap it back for the immersion switch.

Depending on your budget, I would go for the [DLMURL="http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products/monsoon/standard-15-20-bar-max-single"]Stuart Turner[/DLMURL] pumps.

Quiet and very reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies so far. Will look at the 2 brands of pumps.

One other question that occured to me: The kitchen mixer is designed for high pressure supplies, which is the problem we have, as the 2 supplies are unbalanced (ie. gravity hot, mains cold). Now if we pump the hot supply to the tap, is it likely that the hot supply will then be a higher flow rate than the mains cold, in other words, unbalancing the supplies again but now with the cold supply being weaker? Will the pumped hot supply overwhelm the cold at the mixer tap? Are the pumps adjustable, so that the hot flow rate can be decreased if necessary?

Sorry, me again!

Just had a quick look at the Stuart Turner 'Monsoon' single pump, which seems to be what I need.

On the web page, it says not suitable for pumping to common mixers. If the kitchen mixer we have at present is almost new, and designed for high pressure supplies, is it likely to be a common mixer? Can I teel by looking at the tap if it is a common mixer?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies so far. Will look at the 2 brands of pumps.

One other question that occured to me: The kitchen mixer is designed for high pressure supplies, which is the problem we have, as the 2 supplies are unbalanced (ie. gravity hot, mains cold). Now if we pump the hot supply to the tap, is it likely that the hot supply will then be a higher flow rate than the mains cold, in other words, unbalancing the supplies again but now with the cold supply being weaker? Will the pumped hot supply overwhelm the cold at the mixer tap? Are the pumps adjustable, so that the hot flow rate can be decreased if necessary?

Sorry, me again!

Just had a quick look at the Stuart Turner 'Monsoon' single pump, which seems to be what I need.

On the web page, it says not suitable for pumping to common mixers. If the kitchen mixer we have at present is almost new, and designed for high pressure supplies, is it likely to be a common mixer? Can I teel by looking at the tap if it is a common mixer?

Many thanks

Look at the spout if there is only one hole in the spout that's a common mixer, if there are two separate waterways then its not

How the UK and Eire make a rod for their own backs, with stored cold water, and gravity systems, is beyond me now, an all off the mains system would have avoided this problem in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Questions About Pumping Seperate Hot Supply To Kitchen Tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock