Discuss Question for experienced heating engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee King

Hello, ive recently passed my core gas and ACS and level 3 apprentiship in plumbing/heating, i have recently applied for a job doing boiler servicing with Southern and Scottish Electricity(SSE) i was told by an operations manager that it would be a good idea to brush up on the electrical side of things.. Basically we did not cover the electrical part as much as i liked to on the collage course and have not been really using what i did learn, with my current employer. So as you can probably guess although i have basic knowledge, i could do with sorting out exactly whats what in my head! :)

if someone would be kind enough to explain, or if anyone has any notes/tutorials/videos on TESTING:

Resistance to earth
Short circuit
Equipotential bonding

it would be a HUGE help to me.

Thanks alot

LeeKing.

Were you ment to be a plumber from birth?

Resistance to earth...
Multimeter on ohms and test accross earth and live+switched lives, readings should be over 1mega ohm but most of the time it will be OL

Short circuit checks...
Check neutral to all lives and switched lives, readings should be over about 4ohms

Earth continuity checks....
Test from one earth to all other earths. Readings should be continuity (less than 3/4 ohms)

Polarity...
Mulitimeter on volts.
live to neutral 240v
Live to earth 240v
Neutral to earth 0v

Last edited by a moderator:
Think in terms of earth bonding being good enough to blow 30A trips and fuses . Cheap meters don't realy measure below 1 ohm for a "To Specs test"
( but are less depressing to blow up )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Question for experienced heating engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock