Discuss question about fitting trac pipe under a timber suspended floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dom jolly

hello everyone

I have never used trac pipe before but I was planning on running it under a timber suspended floor which has a 400mm void.
In the regs it says that trac pipe should be clipped every 1.8m however it is not possible to clip the pipework under the floor as it is a finished laminated floor. The route is from the front door right through into the kitchen at the back of the property and the laminate flooring runs right throughout the ground floor of the house.
Has anybody done this sort of thing before and not clipped the trac pipe?
Also it states in the regs that the trac pipe has to be sleeved under floors or through voids.
The floor void is ventilated with air bricks and where the trac pipe will come up in the kitchen behind kitchen units there is a 600mm x 600mm square section of floor missing and also by the front door at the opposite end of the trac pipe there is another smaller section of floor missing
So I am thinking that as the floor void is ventilated a sleeve will not be needed right or wrong?
Many Thnaks

If it says it needs clips, it needs clips. If it says it needs sleeving then it needs sleeving.

I would always follow the Regs/MI's to the letter.

If you don't your leaving yourself wide open.

ventilation shouldnt be required, if im reading your description properly, however tracpipe must be supported properly or it will sag and strain the joints, although it is flexible it isnt designed to be used where you cant fit pipes properly or where you cant see what you are fitting the pipe into, i know tracpipe and plastic (for plumbing) is used by many many people in this way as an easier/lazier option, but just because plenty people do it doesnt make it right, feeding tracpipe through a void like that could lead to damage to the pipe which should be picked up by TT, but damage to the outer sheath could lead to corrosion later, then when the floor needs to be ripped up and it is found not to have been fitted as per MI you will be held liable for all the damage etc cause thats what people are like now (even if you get the customer to sign a waiver, which wont be worth the paper its written on as you are basically getting a waiver so you are admitting you havent installed it properly)

Is it true you have to to a Trac Pipe course to be able to use Trac Pipe?
Bobb
ventilation shouldnt be required, if im reading your description properly, however tracpipe must be supported properly or it will sag and strain the joints, although it is flexible it isnt designed to be used where you cant fit pipes properly or where you cant see what you are fitting the pipe into, i know tracpipe and plastic (for plumbing) is used by many many people in this way as an easier/lazier option, but just because plenty people do it doesnt make it right, feeding tracpipe through a void like that could lead to damage to the pipe which should be picked up by TT, but damage to the outer sheath could lead to corrosion later, then when the floor needs to be ripped up and it is found not to have been fitted as per MI you will be held liable for all the damage etc cause thats what people are like now (even if you get the customer to sign a waiver, which wont be worth the paper its written on as you are basically getting a waiver so you are admitting you havent installed it properly)

yes under floor is ventilated by air bricks etc! I have seen trac pipe installed on a commercial site by just running it through a service duct in between a load of heating pipes not clipped or anything.
The only joints I would have would be at either end of the trac pipe where the trac pipe connects onto copper pipe and the copper pipe would be clipped to the wall obviously just above the trac pipe compression fitting.
I am also aware that if the outer sheath becomes damaged then it can lead to corrosssion I am also aware that any exposed steel pipe and back nuts have to be covered in the correct tape.
The existing copper gas pipe from when the house was built in 1980 is just chucked on the ground beneath the suspended floor.

you could pull through that black corrigated flexible duct like the stuff for plastic pipe. then pull the track pipe through that leaving it laying on the floor. This would reduce the chances of damage to the yellow coating. Then leave the duct proud of the floor so if there was a leak on the pipe it would vent above floor level.

Ps i have roughly 50m of 1" trac pipe sitting in my shed if anyone wants to buy it cheap i'm in the northampton area.

Hi plumbing sucks and yes that is exactly the way I had in mind except as its work for a mate he doesnt want to keep paying for materials, he reckons the trac pipes cost him a fortune already!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to question about fitting trac pipe under a timber suspended floor in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock