Search the forum,

Discuss Query on keeping 8mm radiator pipes in newly purchased 1980's house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

petrohead

Hello experts!

Having just acquired my first property this is my first post on here. :waving:

I have recently purchased a 1985 build 4 bed home. I plan to carry out some modernization work in the property. The first job on the list is to get rid of the existing Potterton boiler (image attached) and tank and put in a new Combi. I also plan to change the location of where the boiler is. It currently sits in the kitchen by one of the cabinets and I plan to have the combi installed in the dry room upstairs. Choosing the boiler seemed to be a tough one as it is however I have circled out on 30kw/32Kw Worcester or Vaillant and will be finalizing one of the two after a bit more research. They both are on par pretty much I understand.

Now here is my main dilemma. I got 4 gas engineers over to give me a quote and look at the boiler/central heating system. From what I understand I have a microbore central heating system (dont exactly know what that means) and the pipes connected to all radiators are 8mm (cheap ones Ive been told). The piper by the boiler are a different size too. 2 of the engineers said it needs upgrading to 15mm and all the pipework needs changing. The other 2 said it was ok to continue using the 8mm as it was and then one of them said they would do some sort of a service once the new boiler is installed. I'm left confused!!! :banghead:

I am thinking 10-15 years down the line and am not sure what is the best way to go about this. One of the engineers who advised to keep the existing pipes as they are said to do this because of the way the house was constructed. He said removing the flooring may pose a risk of the flooring becoming squeaky after the pipe installation because of the material used to make the flooring (upstairs). The downstairs has a concrete base under the flooring I believe so it would involve a lot of work. The mains and meter are inside a door by the main door outside the property (dunno if that helps). I mainly wanted to modernize the look of the property and am desperately looking for suggestions. Can the existing pipes that go into the floor or wall/skirting he hidden in any way? Also, mainly can I continue using the 8mm pipes for the central heating?

Looking for some expert suggestions. All your inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
K

Attachments

• IMAG1887.jpg
    IMAG1887.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
best to get rid of the 8mm and up it to 15mm if you have more than one shower your best option is to look at an unvented system and you can remove floor boards/planks and refit with no squeaks

If it was mine then the 8mm would be gone in a heartbeat. Also another vote for unvented if your water pressures and flow will take it.

Unvented cylinder, allows for mains pressure hot water. But you would need the static and dynamic water pressures checking and also your mains flow rate.

837 will cope with a main bathroom & ensuite surely... That's what these big Combis are designed for I thought

837 will cope with a main bathroom & ensuite surely... That's what these big Combis are designed for I thought

flow rate of 15lpm at 35dc bit low 7.5lpm per shower

flow rate of 15lpm at 35dc bit low 7.5lpm per shower

Only when both are being used at once... Most people use them accordingly, obviously if there is a high chance of multiple showers being operated at the same time then maybe unvented cylinder but this is a much bigger space requirement...

Only when both are being used at once... Most people use them accordingly, obviously if there is a high chance of multiple showers being operated at the same time then maybe unvented cylinder but this is a much bigger space requirement...

+1 op have a look at glow worm ultracom 35 store if you have the space 19.7 lpm at 35dc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Query on keeping 8mm radiator pipes in newly purchased 1980's house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock