Discuss Pump seems to have gone on the back boiler, but the Plumber is confused... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bryn Abbott

I have a back boiler, and the central heating system isn't working. The hot water is fine, but when on Heating alone it stays alight for about a minute, then bangs and clatters a bit before shutting down.

Someone came round to have a look at it, and suspecting an issue with the pump, took up the floor boards and was suprised to find two pumps on the same pipe. One is the original one, an SMC Comet 2 controller. The other, about 6 inches away, is a new Masterhead 2 British Gas pump. Any ideas why there would be two? He doesn't know! Have they fitted a new one and just not bothered to remove the old one? The guy who looked at it reckons it's the Comet 2 controller that isn't working, but they cost about £300... he can't find the part so said if I could order one online he would fit it. But I don't want to buy it unless I know it will solve the problem.

Any ideas?!

Circulation issue. Feel the pump when you turn your room stat to max and your boiler fires up you should be able to tell if its working or not. But sounds like a blockarge on your heating circuit.

Is the hot water working from the boiler or immersion heater?

Are both pumps still wired up or only one ? Is the pump scorching hot and is the hot water gravity still possibly

It seems as if the hot water works on a gravity system, with a hot water tank in the upstairs bedroom, so isn't effected by the pump.

When I have turned the central heating on, there doesn't appear to be any response from the pump: there is no vibration or anything when I touch it. Is it worth changing the fuses or anything to see if it's as simple as that?!

Both pumps are wired. The pump gets a little warm when the Hot Water is turned on (as is the pipe leading up to it). But when on Central Heating, it doesn't stay on long enough for the pipes to get warm, even the ones that come straight from the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump seems to have gone on the back boiler, but the Plumber is confused... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have two adjoining cottages, each with an identical UFH system downstairs. Both been going fine for around five years. But for the last few...
Replies
Views
Hi. I recently had a renovation done. My builder installed a new Combi boiler instead of my system boiler. He connected the pipework to the...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock