Discuss Pro's & Con's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpsy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just wondered peoples thoughts on tougher regulation of the plumbing industry in the U.K, like countries such as U.S, Canada, Australia and New Zealand have to name a few.

pro's - none (just like all the existing bodies. actions would be few and far between. and the enforcers of such a scheme would be all bark and no bite.

cons - another costly membership scheme that forces up the prices of the professional and makes it more attractive for a custard to employ a unqualified unregistered turd.

From what i cam gather from information read on this site, you guys are in desperate need of some serious regulatory authority.

As for fees we pay @ $300.00 ( Australian Dollars ) for our licensing.
We have to pay insurance on top of that but that depends on turnover and type of work done.

The prices I have seen on this site for what you guys get paid, is lower than it costs to have an employee employed in Australia.

I don't want to sound nasty or arrogant, but, I personally feel that you guys are in a bind with your skills and what you can charge for your skills and experience - or have to charge for your skills and experience to remain competitive.

I have had these thoughts for a long time and have been begging for a thread like this to vent my frustrations for you guys.

I'm for it so long as they actually had powers and actually enforced the regs.

Let the builders build, the chippy a chip, the sparks stand around all day and the plumbers plumb none of this multi trade jack of all master of none.

I wouldn't on both principle and practical grounds.

Principle

This is supposed to be a free country. We regulate the entry and practice of certain professions, like Law, Medicine, Gas work and HGV driving because there are overwhelming public safety reasons for doing so, and therefore the vast majority of the public support those regulations. Whilst there might be a valid argument for putting oil on the same level as gas, I certainly don't see that general plumbing falls into this category, and more importantly, neither does Joe Public.

Practice

I don't believe it would achieve what it sets out to achieve. If the public don't believe regs are necessary, they will simply ignore them, and pay their mate from down the pub. In the unlikely event that you could enforce it, we would then get every other trade, profession and pastime seeking regulatory protection for themselves. I would start a campaign to regulate merchants, to make sure that I didn't have to deal with any new competition.

So every extra £1 you earned because you were a licenced plumber, you would have to spend £2 because you were no longer allowed to do your own carpentry, plastering, tiling etc, or maintain your own vehicle, or even cut your kids hair. The only people who would make money from it would be the regulatory and training agencies.

By far the most valuable thing the government could do is get the HSE to properly prosecute all instances of unsafe and unregistered gas work. If we can't properly enforce our existing regulations, we have no business introducing new ones.

Course we need it. Cos gassafe works so well doesnt it. Not.

Sarcasm ends and practicality kicks in. It doesnt work end of. You will never stop un registered works. How do you think mr holmes on homes makes a living in canada?

Sorry Guys,

I didn't get to finish what I wanted to say due to a force of nature.
Massive thunderstorm - power outage, screaming children and... my darling wife....????

Sorry Guys,

I didn't get to finish what I wanted to say due to a force of nature.
Massive thunderstorm - power outage, screaming children and... my darling wife....????

What part of Australia? Wifes sister and husband live near Hervey Bay, one niece lives in Brisbane and the other on the Gold Coast.

Ray,

In response to you post...I would have to say that is the most derogatory post towards plumbers I have seen on this forum.

I honestly thought you had a higher opinion of Plumbers.

I also thought that promoting the qualifications and skills of plumbers might help you and the organisation you work for ( or own? ).

'Trade only' I can only gather from your post that means anyone walking through the door.

Would it not be beneficial to you and the company to promote and elevate the profile of Plumbers?

You mention 'Joe Public' and his thoughts.
Well 'Joe Public' can kiss me where the sun don't shine.
Joe Public can do what he wants, but over here he does plumbing work - in any form - and stuffs up, he will not have insurance cover and be prosecuted.

I hope I have interpreted you post wrong, because if I was one of you regulars, I would show you the same disregard as you have shown the Plumbing Industry.

I think your post is demeaning to the Trade and profession.

Oz Plumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pro's & Con's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have an elderly neighbour getting quotes who has asked for my help and opinion, I don't really have a good one as it is not my area of...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
A
Hello all, Im wondering if you can help? Ive got a Vaillant Ecotech Pro 28 which was installed 9 years back and has worked like a dream all its...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock