Discuss Property renovation, re-plumb advice req`d in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

Hello, first post and i`m looking for a bit of advice please.

I have recently bought a 3 bed end terrace, and i`m going to be gutting it and completely re-plumbing it to replace the lead pipes, inc new boiler, and i`m moving the bathroom around.

I`m an engineer and decided to do as many of the jobs in this project as I can. Best way to learn, would just like some guidance and sound out some of my ideas with the pro`s.

From where the water enters my property which will be with mdpe, then a stop tap, am I correct in thinking that this converts to 22mm pipe?

If so I was thinking to reduce the pressure drops with multiple water demands, I would plumb 22mm pipe to the main areas (kitchen, bathroom & C boiler) then convert via manifold in each room to 15mm for the respective components, is this the norm? and will it solve the problem of pressure drops?

Any help tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sound good to me just don't forget to cilp all pipework and don't use pushfit IMO I am sure the rest will agree, I now hate pushfit... Good luck with it though

and if you replace the incoming water main do it to a depth of 750mm and UU (united utilities) do a free connection for lead replacement call them for further advise, and if you do good luck breaking through the perma frost.....if you find any gold 50% to me pls for advise

Firstly, what sort of hot water plumbing system are you wanting? Combi boiler or unvented system or gravity? You also need the mains supply pressure & flow rate tested to see if adequate.
A 25mm pipe entering the house will need a 25 x 22mm stopcock to take you to copper. Mains flow rates to cold supplies will rob other taps to some extent anyhow. You are right to think of running 22mm to main areas, like boiler room, & to upstairs.

Thanks for the replies,

I have already got approval from UU, they will connect for free.

Is the way I suggested the norm, or are the rooms normally supplied with 15mm?

I am getting a new combi boiler.

As for the copper, I was actually thinking of using Hep2o, why is this such a bad idea?

Plum ber, you can have 33% of any gold found, I figure 1/3 for owning land, 1/3 for doing work, 1/3 for advice.

Get quotes to install your boiler, pick the guy you want to work with, let him do the boiler and use him here and there on a day rate and pick his brains for help. So he has some work, will help you out and advize when needed. I do this occsionally for people, but dont expect him to do you full plans etc such that you can drop him thereafter, you'll end up needing help somewhere and he''ll charge a fortune at that stage, ie when building regs appear and want proof of correct works or the water co wants bits signing off, for that you can pay them direct or get an"WRAS approved plumber" to do the work and sign off, much cheaper

Manifold on a cold water distribution pipe?!!
And other plumbers are agreeing to this?
You dont put manifolds on cold water pipes, its normally heating! Also if you wanting to reduce pressure, put a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) just above your stop tap. You dont have to have a MDPE x 22mm stop tap. You can get MDPE x 15mm stop taps, depending on how many cold water outlets inc bathrooms u have

Is the way I suggested the norm, or are the rooms normally supplied with 15mm?

As for the copper, I was actually thinking of using Hep2o, why is this such a bad idea?.

You can go to each bathroom with 22mm & reduce to supplies after that for all cold taps. Hot is another matter, as smaller pipes will be less loss, & quicker etc. Just remember if you use too large a pipe its no big deal.
As to plastic or copper pipe - there's loads of debate on this forum about it, but copper is the best for heating providing it's done right. Plastic is not cheap after you count the cost of all the fittings, clips, inserts.

You dont put manifolds on cold water pipes, its normally heating! Also if you wanting to reduce pressure, put a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) just above your stop tap. You dont have to have a MDPE x 22mm stop tap. You can get MDPE x 15mm stop taps, depending on how many cold water outlets inc bathrooms u have

Why do you not
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354453013.657609.jpg

You can go to each bathroom with 22mm & reduce to supplies after that for all cold taps. Hot is another matter, as smaller pipes will be less loss, & quicker etc. Just remember if you use too large a pipe its no big deal.
As to plastic or copper pipe - there's loads of debate on this forum about it, but copper is the best for heating providing it's done right. Plastic is not cheap after you count the cost of all the fittings, clips, inserts.

Why is copper best
More efficient to have heating on a manifold whether underfloor heating or radiators every room individual controlled

Having seen all the suggestions to date, you may now realise why I said make friends with a local plumber, and give him some work :29:

Why is copper best
More efficient to have heating on a manifold whether underfloor heating or radiators every room individual controlled

Just meant if he is going to do a basic system, especially below floorboards, then a quality copper job with end feeds will never give any bother.
Plastic pipe in pipe & to manifolds may be a good choice.

Just meant if he is going to do a basic system, especially below floorboards, then a quality copper job with end feeds will never give any bother.
Plastic pipe in pipe & to manifolds may be a good choice.

Yes copper best if going for a very basic system

Thought it was branching off a main feed pipe, sorry too chuffed at uploading log cabin piccies #agree and my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Property renovation, re-plumb advice req`d in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back