Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Problems sealing wastes on vanity basins in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

I have recently fitted three vanity basins at my daughter's house and in every case have had a problem sealing the waste to the basin.I have used the washers supplied without sealant and all three have leaked. To remedy it I used Basin Mate ( I think that's what it's called) which basically is a thick tapered rubber washer which forces itself into the hole between the basin and the waste fitting on two of the basins and on the third I put plenty of Plumbers Mait between the washer and the waste.My theory as to why they all leaked initially is that water gets into the overflow slot,it then runs down the thread and the washers supplied are not tight enough against the waste to stop it running down.The Basin Mate is really tight because when it is tightened up with the big waste nut,it is tapered and is forced against the waste thread and the basin.Similarly the Plumbers Mait essentially does the same job because it is filling the gap between the threads of the waste and the basin. Am I correct in my thinking that this is the reason they all leaked initially and that unless the washers supplied with the waste are really tight against the threads then they will not seal without some form of sealant or the use of a Basin Mate washer.

2. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

yes i had same problem when changing mine couldnt find my plumbers mait so got a basin mate

3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

You need a seal/sealant between where the plug goes and the basin also.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

I did have a seal there but I don't think that was where the problem was as it was a good seal in all cases

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harvest Fields

What did the waste instructions say to use?

6. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

They had a washer above the basin and a a washer below and simply said use these with a diagram showing,no mention of anything else.

7. Harvest Fields

Try silicone in both areas most waste instructions now have an arrow saying put silicone here and here

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

Do you think my theory about the water getting into the overflow slot and running down the thread is correct?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Harvest Fields

Sounds like it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Silicon needed.
    If it's really bad I also put a few wraps if PTFE where the bottom nut sits

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I always bin all the rubbers and use plumbers mate in sausages

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

I think you are right I did this years ago and it worked fine.Plumbers Mait seems great to me, unlike silicone you can run the water straight away to see if it has sealed I struggle to see why everybody doesn't use it.I think I got sucked into thinking that if the washers are provided for that purpose then they should work. I should have used my instinct.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Harvest Fields

Depends on the make of silicone used.

14. Ben-gee

Ben-gee Member

Plumbers mait sausages with a dob of silicone and a smear of flux, mmmmmmmmm tasty.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Vicdiy

Vicdiy Member

Do you mean that you can use Plumbers Gold and run water on it before it has set?

• Agree Agree x 1