Discuss pricing up for little job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i saw the picture i said out loud "oh my good god" i wonder if he has shares in ptfe manufacture? that is just so wrong.

Paste is needed for sealing olives - especially poor quality olives. As I always state, leaks can be microscopic & that is exactly what causes the slight corrosion on brass nuts & fittings & copper pipes & seized up nuts.
This thread has cheered me up! :smile:

paste does little to seal olive it more most will seal without anything if done correctly and if they do just change them paste helps prevent the nuts seizing up.small dab of boss between thread and olive never fails

Sorry to add a bit more fuel to this but am in midst of ebay argument with a German who bid on one of my lathes a 3/4 ton Colchester and he expects me to palletise and get it on the roadside for this carrier. This was advertised as collection only with assistance but this arrogant chap assumes an old uk plumber can lift this out of his workshop on a sloping site onto a pallet so he can pay by paypal then reverse the payment......scum.....rant off..............

Anyhow back to ptfe and paste.........I use a little paste but mainly to lubricate the threads so on nipping up your are experiencing resistance to the compression of the olive rather than the thread friction.

Sorry to add a bit more fuel to this but am in midst of ebay argument with a German who bid on one of my lathes a 3/4 ton Colchester and he expects me to palletise and get it on the roadside for this carrier. This was advertised as collection only with assistance but this arrogant chap assumes an old uk plumber can lift this out of his workshop on a sloping site onto a pallet so he can pay by paypal then reverse the payment......scum.....rant off..............

Anyhow back to ptfe and paste.........I use a little paste but mainly to lubricate the threads so on nipping up your are experiencing resistance to the compression of the olive rather than the thread friction.

we had a tool like that. Same scenario but we did load it onto the pallets.

He came with his mate to inspect it (cash on collection)
he was pretty....insulting and knocked us a 100 quid for the lathe.
He paid being quite smug, insultingly so.

His mate drops it! Tool couldent drive a widowmaker to save his life.
now its ruined.

he turns around and demands for his money back :D
Err nah!
Ironic as if he hadn't knocked us the money we would have loaded it.

He said use it round olives but mainly wrap it around threads...

There are certain times you may need to use it round an olive and that's normally on an already leaking compression fitting or an old one you've had to undo for whatever reason. As for wrapping it around threads, there are certain threads you will need to use it on and a compression fitting thread isn't one of them.

The plumbers on this forum aren't lying to you or winding you up, they're trying to help/teach you.

By the way, you could do with an avatar...

122242613714K063.jpg

Last edited:
£30 should have just about covered materials then looking at that. If compression fittings needed ptfe they would all be supplied with a roll when you buy one.
Tell that to boiler part suppliers: stupidly expensive parts often arrive with none of the required seals and gaskets:sad:

Cut pipe.
Slide on Nut
Slide on Olive
1 wrap of PTFE near the end of the pipe.
Slide olive on to it and 1 wrap PTFE over olive.

Now the Olive won't slip off, especially if in the vertical.

A touch of Blue on fitting threads over 28mm just to ease the effort required

Cut pipe.
Slide on Nut
Slide on Olive
1 wrap of PTFE near the end of the pipe.
Slide olive on to it and 1 wrap PTFE over olive.

Now the Olive won't slip off, especially if in the vertical.

A touch of Blue on fitting threads over 28mm just to ease the effort required

The olive to fitting contact will cut the ptfe tape to bits.
It will be better than putting nothing on the compression joint, but paste has to be better & is a fine sealant.
If using ptfe on olive, I would prefer to first compress the joint, then take apart & wrap 2 or 3 turns of tape over the entire olive.

No PTFE or paste on compression joints at all and I don't get any leaks - if one weeps I pinch it up and job is done!

On the very RARE occasions a joint leaks persistently then I may use PTFE or LSX . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pricing up for little job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock