Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Pressure valve on top of hot water cylinder.........Good idea????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

monkeymanal

Good afternoon folks. I wonder if any of you can offer some advice....

I have a hot water cylinder with a pressure reducing valve on top. Yesterday morning it let go in spectacular fashion flooding my downstairs. Having got a local engineer out who i believe seems to know his stuff and doesn't talk BS, he removed the valve and bypassed with a straight pipe.

Problem cured obviously, but his opinion was that it didn't need to be fitted in the first instance and secondly, if you did want to fit one, directly on top of the cylinder is a no no due to heat fluctuation.

The valve eventually let go through the rubber diaphragm and plastic outer.

Id really like some thoughts on whether it should have been fitted in the first place.

NB its around 4 years old in a new build.

Thanks in advance

Alistair

If it's the combination pressure reducing valve he has removed! This is dangerous, as he has removed the safety valve also.
Get rid of your "mate", he has done you no favours! Get a local g3 registered installer to replace the valve for the manufacturers part.

:nono:ell he took it off, SORT IT ASAP !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, he wasnt a mate or anyhting, he is a fully qualified by the book engineer. The cylinder is a Santon Premier Plus PP250B.

Ive also attached a pic of the valve prior to removal.

Thoughts and opinions still very much welcomed.

Ta

redir

turn it off immediately ​and get a G3 qualified engineer round sharpish to sort it out

No picture pal , just thank yourself lucky you posted on here , now turn your hot water and stop tap off

He's not just bypassed the PRV and safety setup on an unvented has he???

This is why you need to be g3 qualified to touch unvented cylinders, there are too many out there that don't check the cards..

I think everyone may be jumping the gun here. The OP states that the PRV was on the top of the cylinder which sounds to me that someone has tried to reduce the pressure below the setting of the combination valve after the cylinder. In which case the plumber who attended has done the right thing by removing it. We need to see a picture before we can pass judgement.

I think everyone may be jumping the gun here. The OP states that the PRV was on the top of the cylinder which sounds to me that someone has tried to reduce the pressure below the setting of the combination valve after the cylinder. In which case the plumber who attended has done the right thing by removing it. We need to see a picture before we can pass judgement.

I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion too!
looks like it's on the hot outlet!
hopefully if we haven't scared the op off, he might come back and post a pic.

Hi guys, no i dont scare that easily lol just dealing with insurance etc and trying to post from phone! Hopefully ill be able to attach this time. Also had a look at the installation manual and theres no indication or mention of fitting a valve in the hot water outlet.

PS sorry about the side ways pics!!

photo%202.JPG

photo%201.JPG

And if it helps..............

boiler.JPG

Thanks gain for your input and thoughts guys.

My gut feeling on this is that it is either not required full stop or that it shouldn't have been located so close to the cylinder. The rubber diaphragm and plastic housing are whats lets the water out and im a little surprised a plastic rubber parts is used so close to a heat source that fluctuates hot and cold.

Thanks

That valve should be on the cold inlet to the cylinder.
This is why you need a G3 licenced installer to take a look.

It has one on the cold side too!

I've only once seen two pressure reducing valves. Apparently it was because the pipe work was plastic! This seemed pointless to me as they already had one, but Scotia homes know better and wasted money buying extra valves they didn't need!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure valve on top of hot water cylinder.........Good idea????? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. This ‘valve’ is at the bottom of our domestic hot water cylinder. Anyone have any idea what it is please? It must’ve been there for many...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment with a cold water tank. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my...
Replies
Views
After some advice, i have recently had solar panels fitted and have an Eddi which uses the energy we generate to heat the cylinder using the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a hot water cylinder which feeds 3 outlets (kitchen sink, basin in bathroom & bathtap) which has never had very good pressure (probably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock