Discuss Powerflush before boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

We're about to get ourselves a new boiler fitted (Worcester Greenstar 38CDi) and are aware that the system needs to be cleaned before the installation especially as our current boiler makes a lot of banging noises when heating hot water so its likely to be pretty dirty. The rads are generally heating up OK with only one having a cold bottom which we're going to replace before boiler installation anyway.

My question really is, I asked a local heating firm (BlueFlame in Bristol) to do a powerflush (as they advertise on their website). However they came round yesterday and ran the system for maybe 4 hours with powerflush chemicals and bigger magnetic filter than our magnaclean but no pump, just using the boiler to pump it round. I sent them an email last night asking for clarification and there response was "We use a magnetic filter system to flush through which uses the same chemicals. You get exactly the same results and it is kinder on the heating system." So now I don't know if I'm just being ripped off. Is this likely to be good enough for a new boiler warrantee. The only evidence I'll have from them is a receipt saying the system was flushed! They're charging £420 for 10 radiators (but not yet paid)

Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks

Caroline

Hello and welcome

I'm assuming the device they used was a magna cleanse or similar. These are pretty good tools to use on the system and aren't so aggressive in terms of pressure on pipe joints etc. without eyes on the system it's impossible for me to say if the system is clean enough for the new boiler install although I have had very good results using mine. If you have a receipt from the installers saying that the system is flushed to manufacturers standards then the liability will fall on them should anything go wrong warranty wise.

In short I would say no you are not being ripped off, many installers use these devices now to clean systems

Have to say i disagree with above.
A powerflush has a high flow rate with low pressure.
Typically the pressure doesnt exceed 2 bar but with superior flow to a boiler pump what are tiny and not designed to clean a system - merely circulate clean heating water.

The fact a powerflush agitates the system with a reverse flow means a lot more cleaning takes place. I also add slight vibration to radiators to loosen built up deposits combined with a mag-clean.

So my opinion is that is you asked for a powerflush - you didnt recieve one.

When you think about it logically the reason it builds up and stops in radiators is because the standard pump hasnt the power to shift it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed Phill I suppose it does come down to the wording of the quote, however I know lots of guys that are getting a lot of success with the magnacleanse but I suppose if the system is filthy it's going to need more oomph however we can't see the state of the system water

I specifically asked for a powerflush, so the response stating how much they charge should be for just that unless told otherwise IMO.

No problem if you're going down to the letter of the quote then yes you asked for a power flush. Whether it was necessary or not is an entirely different matter I think you need to discuss it with the manager of the installer

If you asked for a powerflush then no they haven't done as said. A magnaclense just catches what goes through it, you need to powerflush to clean the system of anything more stubborn.

Agreed but as we've said we don't know how stubborn the muck in the system is

You received a magnacleanse...

It will remove circulating debris & probably better than many would have done on a boiler change. It is not a powerflush tho & I consider a charge of 420 pounds to be powerflush money!

For best results, a powerflush machine would be attached with the magnacleanse filters for best results. Although of you have an old microbore system sometimes it's best not to attach a powerflush machine as there's a higher chance of creating a leak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Powerflush before boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock