Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Suprima Timer Clock Wiring Problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neil Buckley

Hi all,

This is my post. I have exausted most of the related posts on this forum to no avail.

I would appreciate if anyone could possibly help me with the following problem.

I have a potterton suprima boiler (model number unsure). I have replaced the original timer clock - EP2002, with a newlec 2ch timer clock.

I labelled the wires as I disconnected them from the original timer and they are as follows...

N - Black Wire
L - Red and Brown Wires
1 - Blue Wire
2 - N/C Not Connected
3 - Red Wire (Marked with black pen)
4 - Yellow Wire
5 - Link Wire to L

According to the wiring diagram on the original timer the connections are as follows...

N
L
1 - HW off
2 - CH off
3 - HW on
4 - CH on

The wiring info for the newlec is as follows...

NC1 - CH off
N01 - CH on
NC2 - HW off
N02 - HW on
N - N 230
L - L

I wired the newlec timer as follows...

NC1 - CH off - N/C ????
N01 - CH on - Yellow Wire
NC2 - HW off - Blue
N02 - HW on - Red (marked with black pen)
N - N 230 - Black Wire
L - L - Red And Brown Wire

I have tried to replicate the wiring for the new timer, but as you can see, as 2 - CH off, is not connected on the original timer, there is no wire to connect to the the new timer.

Any advice on how to successfully wire the new timer would be grateful. I have tried every combination to wire it correctly. It powers up ok, when HW is selected it fires up for about 10 - 15mins then shuts down (red light). When working, the CH works too, even though only the HW is selected. If CH is selected nothing happens, however the room stats lights up.

Thanks and look forward to anyone who could help me re-wire this timer.

Neil.

If c/h off was not used on the old timer, it will not be used on the new one ! What was the reason you changed the timer ?

The sliders (HW & CH) on the old timer were intermittent and loose.

Once the timer is wired up correctly, I will know for sure whether there is an underlying problem. As at the moment, the unit locks out (red light) when the HW has been on for about 10 - 15mins. The CH doesn't work when selected however comes on when the HW is on.

I have read all about the potterton PCB problem and took it out and repaired a few dry joints and replaced two faulty caps.

So if any knows the wiring info for it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Neil.

If your boiler is locking out im pretty sure it wont be becuase of the timer being wired incorrectly, all the timer does is turn the boiler and and off . Make sure on the new timer you have not got it on a gravity setting, make sure it is selected to fully pumped .

Ye got it set to fully pumped. But cant understand why the CH comes on when the HW is selected and only for a few mnis then locks out. If I try to reset it straight after it lock outs with the HW on, it wont let me. But if I reset it with HW off, it boots up fine - albeit for a few mins!!

Neil.

Sounds like you need a multi meter ! was the boiler locking out before you changed the timer ?

Ye it was doing pretty much the same thing. We moved into this house in Aug, so dont know the history of the boiler.

sounds like its a boiler prob, poss also a diverter valve prob , Going to need to call gas fitter matey !

Sounds like you have an-inherent wiring issue so may be best to check wiring from scratch once you have that correct you can eliminate any component failures, your be surprised how many people have wrongly wired controls.

@bambers, thats excatly the reason I have posted on here. First I need the info to wire it correctly, then I'll know if there is any other issues.

Your need to work from the manufactures wiring diagrams, trace wiring to components rather than hope someone has wired it correct, time consuming but only way to get it right

From the room stat I have:
red - live,
blue - neutral
yellow - switched live.

So I presume:
red is L
blue is CH off
yellow is CH on.

Then Im left with:
black - N
brown - L
red - HW on (I presume)

But im sure there should be one more wire, either HW off or CH off? The original timer had no connection to CH off?

Very confused.com lol

what control valves have you got? if have you 2 port spring return valves then you wont require ch off or hw off

How would I find out if i have a 2 port spring valve return?

sound to me new pcb req if going to solid red light on boiler and if ch not working check zone valves... best to get an engineer in imho.... good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Suprima Timer Clock Wiring Problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Experiencing an issue with a Worcester Greenstar 21i conventional boiler if anyone could help! I have previously installed a Tado smart controls system and is all working correctly with my 3 zone s plan system (CH x2, & HW). Boiler fires from the LR (signal) when the Tado calls for heat but...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Honeywell ST699 programmer which is working fine but I want to learn how to decommission it (disconnect it from the rest of the system). Currently I have a Honeywell Home Single Zone Thermostat (Y87RF2024) and I am thinking to get the Honeywell Home Mobile Access Kit RFG100 to get...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't compatible with the new universal one, but the wiring was pretty close AFAICT (N, L, 1, 3 & 4 connected) .When I first powered it up but didn't have any TRVs...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm brand new to plumbing, heating systems, wiring etc and only started to read about it because I wanted to know why our CH would only work when HW was also on. I think we have a Y system based on the Honeywell 3 position diverter valve above the boiler. We have a Potterton EP2002...
Replies
Views
I'm replacing my multi-zone Danfoss controllers with Hive, so far the downstairs Hive receiver is wired in and working well. I'm having a problem wiring in the Hive Single Channel receiver to replace a Danfoss TP 4000 for the upstairs zone. The TP 4000 is battery powered and has 2 connected...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock