Discuss Potterton Promax 15HE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DW29

Hello all, I hope you can give me some advice.

We moved a short while ago into a house with a Potteron Promax 15HE system boiler. Before we could get it serviced it stopped lighting so we called in a heating engineer to do a service and fix. To make a long story short three visits later we still have no reliable heat or hot water, having replaced the spark electrodes and having done what could only be described as a safety check not a service.

He spoke to Baxi\Potterton whilst here the second time and they advised a couple of tests to see if the gas valve was faulty, one was to partially block the fan air intake by sliding paper or card over it to see if that would light the boiler, the other involved removing a copper tube that goes from the top of the gas valve into the combustion chamber (some sort of air regulator he said) and block it at the top of the gas valve. This did cause the boiler to light so he is saying that the gas valve is faulty.

The thing is it did keep relighting after he did that so he left saying if it stops lighting the gas valve needs replacing. Two hours after he left the boiler went out and wouldn't relight.

Since then if does light (rarely) it goes out after 1.5 to 2 hours.

The flame when viewed though the inspection seemed to me to burn a bit on the orange side, he said it was OK, but it burnt bluer when he had the air box panel off. He also flushed water down through the inspection hole in the flue to clear debris into the condensate trap.

Do you think these are symptoms of a faulty gas valve (would a faulty valve also cause the boiler to go out as well as not light), is it worth starting down a route of replacing expensive parts as we now have no faith in him or the firm he works for.

Or would we be better getting a new boiler as it is 11 years old and does not appear to have the best reputation.

Sorry for the long post, but we are tearing our hair out.

Many thanks

I'd get a second opinion from another engineer but I'd be veering towards a new boiler or fixed price repair from baxi.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

we were considering calling Potterton/Baxi, even if only to pay them to come and discuss the situation. We'd rather not pay for a whole new system as moving house has somewhat depleted spare cash lol.

We don't want the same people back as we have no confidence at all in them, and dealing with gas that confidence has to be high.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Promax 15HE in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock