Discuss Potterton Netaheat 10-16 electronic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi everyone not long gas safe and would like a more experienced opinion on scenario below i have tried to give as much detail as possible as know it is hard to give advise over the internet. (bit of an essay sorry)

Called to Potterton Netaheat 10-16 electronic and was told it would come on and fire up for 5-6mins and then go off. went to job and typically it was working fine for 15mins and just as i was about to walk out the door customer turns room stat down boiler cuts out and then does not re-light when room stat turner back up.

I then turn boiler off and on and same happens boiler goes through sequence and pilot comes on but burner does not. i tap gently the air pressure switch, hear click and all fires up working fine.

turn demand off for 1 min, call for demand again and it does the same, pilot on but not burner, tap again and jumps into life.

Take PCB off so not attached to boiler casing but still connected to wiring, do same but this time tap on air switch does nothing. then tap PCB gently and again does not spark into life.

Start using multi meter to take voltage readings etc trying to trace, but this was a pain as boiler would suddenly start working so had to keep doing sequence to get fault to occur.

managed to trace 240 going through thermostat & to fan, fan spins & also got 70 ohms on fan so suggest this is good. whilst doing this i had 2 glass 1A fast blow fuses go which i put down to me prodding with the multi meter, but after putting the fan leads back on it kept blowing the fuses immediately on switching power back on to boiler. i checked leads were on properly and right way round but had to stop fault finding as blew 3 fuses and i ran out of fuses.

I have put it down to faulty PCB and have ordered a new one but concerned i may be wrong and parts are costly and dont want to damage the new PCB.

I have bought more fuses and would like to know what some more experienced engineers think on the scenario and what you would advise checking on return visit prior to fitting new PCB?

Advise appreciated

Thanks Harvest, how can i tell if this one does? is it the gaskets that are asbestos?

They are going to get a new boiler in the summer but just want this one to keep going till then as they dont have the funds at the moment to get it replaced

Google ASBESTOS in boilers and yes normally gaskets. You will probably need the serial number of the boiler also. I’m sure I have a link somewhere.

Start using multi meter to take voltage readings etc trying to trace, but this was a pain as boiler would suddenly start working so had to keep doing sequence to get fault to occur. ... stop fault finding as blew 3 fuses and i ran out of fuses.

[...]

Advise appreciated

You don't appear to have the skills needed for 'live working' on this (or any) boiler so you should stop doing it.

Also, this is a topic that should not, IMO, be being discussed outside the closed GSR forum.

Nope he is gas safe so that's why I've allowed it for now (pre update he was gsr on here but for some reason it's gone waywood)

isnt the potterton netaheat boiler positive pressure so if you remove case check seals

Was thinking that but can't find my list of pp boilers atm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Netaheat 10-16 electronic in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back