Search the forum,

Discuss Possible seized pump??? Need your help please... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

First time posting to this forum. Had the boiler serviced roughly two months ago. The chap fitted a new pump (danfoss bfp 11 L3), nozzle and adjusted the electrodes. He commented that the burner was running very cleanly.

However, after three weeks of trouble free running, the boiler (HRM wallstar) kept going to lock out, so I would patiently wait and after one or two presses of the reset/lock out button, it would fire up. This progressively got worse, and the boiler would go to lock out during the burning cycle, but would eventually start again after patient waiting and pressing of the lockout button. :crazy:

Now it will not fire at all, the pump doesn't seem to turn, and the fan doesn't seem to turn either. I managed to get it going once or twice by tapping the pump with a hammer.:90: So am I safe to assume that the pump is seized and needs replacing? Or might it be the motor/control box/capacitor?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have tried ringing and texting the oil engineer to ask him to return and diagnose and fix, but he hasn't returned my calls; turns out my neighbour had similar dealings with him (although I do understand that this is probably a very busy period of the year for him)! Might just add that in the past I have replaced the pump/nozzle/tiger loop, so happy to engage in replacing items of similar difficulty.

Cheers

Jim

Hello Jim and welcome to the forum. I wouldn't advise any of my customers to replace their oil pump themselves, so I would say the same to you.
For example, - have you got an oil gauge plus an analyser to set the oil pump and also the entire burner operation? Do you know how to do this? I have an analyser and other gear costs £600 alone.
Something is seized, but definitely don't replace the oil pump yourself. Even the motor replaced would require burner to be set up.
I would contact the engineer as the pump (if faulty) is under warranty. If water or dirt inside it, no warranty.
If he still doesn't respond, just get a reputable oil engineer in
If you say your general area, some of the forum oil folk could maybe take a look at it for you

Last edited:
I deleted an unregistered user roughly the same time as Adam posted by the looks of things.

I deleted an unregistered user roughly the same time as Adam posted by the looks of things.

Ah, that would explain it then, thought he had been drinking whilst on the toothache meds, Adam knows me too well to take offence at the post.

Quick update.

Thanks for the welcome and also thank you for your advice. As a first port of call, I tried again to contact the engineer, but he continues still not to return my messages; so definitely in the naughty book now:86:

I then asked for recommendations from my local community internet noticeboard, but the engineers that were recommended were fully booked till Christmas; and with no heating/hot water..... not an option.

So, I removed the burner unit, replaced nozzle as there was a build up of gunk at the feed end. Then I removed the pump, and on further inspection (removing the filter housing), found the reason for it's seizure, very rusty and gunky in there; so I replaced the pump.

I then dealt with the cause of these problems, by syphoning out circa 25-30 litres of (water) tainted oil from the tank; and then removed and thoroughly cleaned a gunked up in-line filter.

The boiler now fires up first time, burns continuously and to my eye burns cleanly with no smoke. Obviously I don't have the correct gauges etc; but with a bit of logic, some good advice and a bit of stubbornness; I have got to a point where the other half is happy, and that's good enough for me . I've booked it in for a service at the end of January, so any issues relating to lack of gauges etc, can hopefully wait till then.:38:

Fingers crossed I'm not back here too soon, asking more questions, cheers.

Thanks Jim for update. Seems your engineer replaced the oil pump without bothering about the oil quality from oil tank. Now that you have replaced the nozzle and oil pump yourself, the burner could be set wrong. Another thing you probably missed is the burner will have water in the pressure line.
You should have posted a request for an oil engineer on here. There should be no problem getting an engineer out within one day for such a job

Cheers for taking the time to reply Best. Seems like getting the system checked for oil pressure and air etc is definitely needed asap.... how do I go about posting a request for an oil engineer on here?

Just put a new post under the "Looking for plumber or gas engineer" part of forum, stating you need oil boiler set up/serviced and your approximate location.
You could also do same on this thread

Just put a new post under the "Looking for plumber or gas engineer" part of forum, stating you need oil boiler set up/serviced and your approximate location.
You could also do same on this thread

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Cheers everyone for all the help & advice. Someone is coming monday to set up the boiler etc, result! Have a good christmas, Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Possible seized pump??? Need your help please... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I’m hoping someone can help me with this problem please. I’ve searched for similar posts but not found anything helpful! My mum’s house has a pump which pulses on and off every time a tap is opened. Even filling the bath (pressure is strong) the pump won’t come on and stay on but...
Replies
Views
Hi My oil boiler keeps locking out after running for 30/40 minutes! I then try to reset it but it won’t fire back up! I have to leave it for several hours before it will fire back up! Only to lock out again after 30/40 minutes! The boiler has had a new nozzle, coil and pump in the last 2...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a baxi duotec combi boiler that every day or other day needs topping up as pressure drops below 0.5bar. When fired up it can reach OVER 2.5bar also whilst running CH. Is this more than likely a flat Expansion Vessel that needs inflating or could there be other possible causes if...
Replies
Views
I have a conventional system, Potterton Prima Boiler, into a Pump into a Motorised Valve that feeds the Radiators and/or the pipes in the Hot Water Cylinder. Analogue Controller with slide switches (replaced 2 years ago) and analogue Room Stat and Hot water cylinder Stat. I'm just an amateur...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock