Discuss possible asbestos flue? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
just bought a house, and after asking the solicitor to ask the seller if the rear chimney had an asbestos liner or not, was told it was unused and clay. well I took the inspection plate off and I think it may be asbestos. the thing is the kitchen cooker hood seems to feed into it. on top of this ive got a solar company coming to lower the stack. should I start worrying?

pics:

CAM01206[1].jpgCAM01207[1].jpgCAM01210[1].jpgCAM01212[1].jpgCAM01213[1].jpg

p.s. what sort of system is this? and why does the piece of flue pipe look broken off, even though it connects to a larger flue in the main stack.

Call your local authority to test it. They'll advise you accordingly.

But you'd be safe as long as it's left alone. It's only when it's being cut it drilled into it causes a hazard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get it tested, maybe best to have a asbestos survey done on the property, then you can issue a copy to any tradesman that works on it and get them to sign to say they have read it. you are then passing on the responsibilty to them. As the property owner its your responsibility to tell trades of any asbestos containing materials.

I came across the same thing a few weeks ago, a landlord property, i told them to get it checked, thats the best and safest option.

thank you for all the replies. ive found the cooker hood looks as though it goes into the stack, great. not sure what to do now. think I might redirect it out a new hole and seal up the stack leaving a vent at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to possible asbestos flue? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, came across this forum this looking for information on my sooting up kitchen type indoor Enviromax. I'm a retired electronics/maintenance...
Replies
Views
A number of issues have been raised from a boiler replacement. Boiler not operating and with no pressure. Tile damage Sprawling pipe layout in...
Replies
Views
E
Removed old Rayburn 3 years ago, wife bought a gas stove, cast iron open flue jobbie to finish room as looking to sell house. Brick chimney all ok...
Replies
Views
Ermintrude
E
L
Well it seems everytime I go to this bleedin bum end of the county, it goes wrong. first 48 miles to get there, and the sat nav delivers me to a...
Replies
Views
Z
Quick question: I had a bloke out a few days ago to do a gas safety inspection, prior to me moving house. After leaving him to it, he came in to...
Replies
Views
Barry98
B
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock