Search the forum,

Discuss Polypipe Programmable Room Thermostat - PB PZP in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I've had a couple of these battery powered thermostats fail and currently looking at finding replacements but I'm fairly sure they are now superseded?

Can anybody advise on other programmable battery powered units that could be used instead? I'm assuming the others may well start to fail in the coming years too...so a lower cost solution would be preferable.

My first Programmable room Stat (Potterton) lasted 25 years, only replaced as the batteries were failing at 6 months instead of 2 years.

My current stat, Danfoss, has been in for 9 years.

My first Programmable room Stat (Potterton) lasted 25 years, only replaced as the batteries were failing at 6 months instead of 2 years.

My current stat, Danfoss, has been in for 9 years.
These units were installed in 2010 but a couple have been somewhat flakey for a few years now.

The Polypipe form part of the underfloor heating system that was installed at the same time. Each room/zone has the PB PZP installed controlling that circuit.

To be honest, I only really need something that provides a target temp, fall back temp and frost protect/holiday mode for the given circuit.

Would something like the Danfoss TP5000SI 5/2 Day Programmable Room Stat be suitable? I see they are battery powered but do appear to be pretty expensive for what they are.

I see your original polypipe stat is available from some sellers on eBay, if you just want to replace one like-for-like!

It seems the Danfoss one you mention was released over 10 years ago.

If you don't need a 7 day programmer, just the same times every day, how about a Siemens one:

Last edited:
I see your original polypipe stat is available from some sellers on eBay, if you just want to replace one like-for-like!

It seems the Danfoss one you mention was released over 10 years ago.

If you don't need a 7 day programmer, just the same times every day, how about a Siemens one:
I just spoke with Polypipe today and they advised that the updated replacement for the PB PZP was the UFHPROGB. It's also now a phased out thermostat.

Supposedly the PB PZP is a 20 year old product, so the Danfoss is a youngster :D

I really only need something simple to control the circuit to open and close the actuator (based on temperature) but I'm not sure how critical that is? By that I mean do I just need any type of thermostat that opens or closes a circuit or do other variables come into it like voltage etc?

I really only need something simple to control the circuit to open and close the actuator (based on temperature) but I'm not sure how critical that is? By that I mean do I just need any type of thermostat that opens or closes a circuit or do other variables come into it like voltage etc?
You just need a battery powered stat/programmer with a relay 'hard wired' output, which has contacts rated at mains voltage (230V or above), and say one amp (1A or more) normally called "volt free" contacts. (Your system might be low voltage, but if you get mains rated, which they normally are, that covers all possibilities)
Try Googling "battery programmable stat hard wired volt free contacts". Plenty to choose from!

You could go for just a stat without the programmer bit if you don't want it turning that room on/off at specific times, but being able to put different rooms/ zones on at different times is usually more economical.

I'd advise not buying a random one from Amazon, stick to known brands that the trade/retail outlets sell.

Last edited:
You just need a battery powered stat/programmer with a relay 'hard wired' output, which has contacts rated at mains voltage (230V or above), and say one amp (1A or more) normally called "volt free" contacts. (Your system might be low voltage, but if you get mains rated, which they normally are, that covers all possibilities)
Try Googling "battery programmable stat hard wired volt free contacts". Plenty to choose from!

You could go for just a stat without the programmer bit if you don't want it turning that room on/off at specific times, but being able to put different rooms/ zones on at different times is usually more economical.

I'd advise not buying a random one from Amazon, stick to known brands that the trade/retail outlets sell.
Sorry for tardy reply time.

I'll give that a go and see what can be sourced.

Thank you for that :D

This was one of the first items that came up.

This was one of the first items that came up.

That should do it.
I have Heatmiser rf thermostats (no wires!) and the batteries last about a year. On the model you've found they may last a bit longer.
They seem a good product.

Reply to Polypipe Programmable Room Thermostat - PB PZP in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock