Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Plumbing Tutor Advice in the Plumbing Courses area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Plumber252

Plumber252 New Member

Good afternoon,

im new to this forum and was wondering if anybody could give me abit of advice?

Im currently a self employed plumber/heating engineer looking at perusing a career in teaching this at college level. I have done abit of searching online of how to go about it and found that I have two options; in-service or pre-service training. Has anybody got any advice on the best way forward/got any experience for the best way to go?

regards in advance,

Chris

2. Plastic soul

Plastic soul New Member

Try approaching Access training they're always after people

3. Robert Tyrrell

Robert Tyrrell GSR

Why would you want to put yourself in such a stressful situation?
    I was a school teacher for 15 years and it sucked the life out of me, ok I was head of 3 departments but it still made me ill, even when I relinquished two of them. I then tried working as a teaching assistant at a local college but that was nearly as bad because most of the kids on the vocational courses were just there because they had to be there. Very disruptive and challenging all the time.
    Stick to P&H it's nowhere near as stressful, and you get to have some time to yourself instead of continuously doing paperwork to satisfy OFSTED etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Plastic soul

Plastic soul New Member

Mate, I agree
    I was about the same as you...18 years in teaching
    I enjoy the p&h, sometimes you get challenges but you get over them and go home and the evening is yours!!

5. cr0ft

cr0ft Trusted Plumber GSR

I guess physical health may be one reason! I was considering it last year when I had a problem with my spine and wasn't able to even walk properly for 2 weeks!

6. student plumber

student plumber Member

I have to agree with Robert.
    I have done L2 C&G along with about 30 odd.

We were split into 2 groups, a number of them had left or been kicked off because they were basically being appendages.

But it ended up with 13 of us in my group, 3 of us were over 20yrs, the other 10 were 17/18 and some of them couldn't give a monkeys.

They couldn't leave their mobiles alone;
    talking, eating in class;
    not bringing their course books, paper, pen;
    throwing stuff in workshop;
    bunking off after a break; j
    ust walking out of a class because tutor wasn't there and they didn't want to study there course books in the workshop;
    the tutor gave up setting homework because some of them couldn't be bothered to do it and he didn't want to waste his weekend setting it.
    And he was a qualified plumber who went back to get some money, but I don't think it did him any good.

Good luck, I think you will need it.

7. Clanger

Clanger Active Member

Go to your local colleges and meet the teachers in person. Go for an assessor post (many advertised) and you will get job and college will support teacher training - don't do pre- service teacher training because it is pretty meaningless with the practice, never mind without

• Agree Agree x 1