Search the forum,

Discuss plumbing training options in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gmem

Please could someone give some advice.My son Is only 17 years old.He has just finished his City and Guilds 6129 technical certificate.What would you advise - if he cannot get a plumbing apprenticeship he will not be able to continue with plumbing training in September.He has not had any practical plumbing training apart from in the college workshop.We have no family/ friends who could give him experience and he has been looking for a year for a plumbing apprenticeship.We have sent letters, made phone calls and given in CV in person to no avail.
Would it be a good Idea to study electrics for 1 year and keep looking for a job in the meantime.His tutor suggested studying mechanics which she thinks Is related to plumbing.Or should he do a heating and ventilating course?
We have been advised that he should get a CSCS card and try getting experience in construction .Its a very difficult time for young people in this country,

Sorry Gmem, But if you read through some of the posts on this site you will see it a difficult time for any one in the construction industry, Some parts of UK a bit better than others, but things seam to be getting worse, No investment in building just yet, pay rates at rock bottom, Probably 10 Plumbers fighting for each job, Have you thought about contacting Boiler Manufacturers about training as a service engineer. Where are you ??

He can keep doing courses and wasting money on them forever and a day but without actual on site experience they won't be worth anything I'm afraid. It's an extremely poor time to be in the trade. I can never understand why people don't do more research into these things.

Its similar situation like was here few years ago when was lack of plumbers and government pushed this trade forward, after that there was so many of them and lot of cowboys too. Due to a bad economical situation in the World, people just don't have extra money to spend if they are not forced so paying for plumbing or electrician is not really priority if is not unavoidable. Gmem, I know your son spent almost a year training as a plumber but he is 17 and maybe its not late to look for something different as other guys mentioned on the forum, its very difficult to get a job nowadays as the competition is very big. The other thing is, if your boy really wants to be a plumber then support him and keep fighting. Maybe it will get better in following years but nobody can predict that. College should have apprenticeship program for young people to help them find employer, other option is open yellow pages and call all plumbing companies one by one, maybe you will be lucky, some plumber might need free pair of hands. Good luck and keep fighting, even if it looks so desperate sometimes.

Thanks for all your advice.We are in Southgate, North london.We will look into contacting boiler manufacturers, we have tried British gas, National Grid and go on the National Apprenticeship website daily.We need to look into alternatives to plumbing.As one of you have said- one good thing is that he is only 17 years old and has time to make changes in his career.The plumbing course was good experience for him , was not a waste of time as he has improved his practical skills in the workshop and also at this age training is free at college.They dont help with apprenticsMaybe there are plumbing related careers that he could consider.He had got good GCSE,s in maths english and sciences but the academic route is not right for him.

what about different college or go towards renewables? lot of companies going this route as this is believed to be the future, maybe they would take an apprentice on.

Air con or refrigation, look how men'y fridge's their are ! shops , homes, Trucks etc.

...at this age training is free at college.

Its not free, its a free entitlement, which is gone when used. If your son decides to do A levels, and go to university, then he will have to pay for this in the future. So while the middle class kids get A levels and go to university - your son uses his free entitlement to 'risk' finding a job in field that is massively over-subscribed. Note, the unemployed, neets, ex-army, graduates who can't find jobs, women, ethnic groups are all being funded to take up plumbing related jobs.

Wages are coming down in the sector, look at what the tutors are getting:

JOB TITLE:- Plumbing Assessor
SUBJECT:- Plumbing / Construction / Education / Training
SALARY:- £11.17 per hour plus statutory holiday pay

http://www.fecareers.co.uk/jobboard/can ... 2350&pg=13

This sector is already minimum wage, so do some more research. Electrical is just as bad.

Jump ship and head for technical A levels or qualifications like 'higher apprenticeships' which lead to degree studies or pathways. It is as simple to study for medicine as it is for plumbing - so why not go for the better paid vocations?

I would think a degree in sustainable energy systems would be a good prospect. He may still be able to do a Btec in renewables and progress to Degree in further education, making use of what he has already got, while he can.

Thanks for your valuable advice.My son has decided not to do A levels because he has learning difficulty which makes it very difficult to sit through lessons concentrate and organise.He had to take medication to get through school.He is slowly improving every year so he needs more support than the average person.Are there other ways of getting into renewable energy without doing a degree? He can manage if he is working and learning as this is how he learns best.

Sorry to here about your sons difficulty ! I have a grandson with problems as well and he found it difficult to get a job the question of insurance always pops up, he has got a job now working for a local Butchers and loves it so i hope you have some luck with your son and getting him somthing he likes doing,

Good luck Gmem, sorry to hear about your son. I hope you and him find something he will enjoy to do :)

Please could someone give some advice.My son Is only 17 years old.He has just finished his City and Guilds 6129 technical certificate.What would you advise - if he cannot get a plumbing apprenticeship he will not be able to continue with plumbing training in September.He has not had any practical plumbing training apart from in the college workshop.We have no family/ friends who could give him experience and he has been looking for a year for a plumbing apprenticeship.We have sent letters, made phone calls and given in CV in person to no avail.
Would it be a good Idea to study electrics for 1 year and keep looking for a job in the meantime.His tutor suggested studying mechanics which she thinks Is related to plumbing.Or should he do a heating and ventilating course?
We have been advised that he should get a CSCS card and try getting experience in construction .Its a very difficult time for young people in this country,

quite common im afriad, try to get a job as a labourer is my advice

Hi Gmem may I ask which college did your son study his course at?
I'm from East London and looking to start a part time course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to plumbing training options in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock