Discuss Plumbing Licence in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

oz-plumber

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi CW.
Plumbers in the UK don't need to be qualified, much the same as Electricians.
If you want to play with gas, then that's a whole different ballgame.

Hi all,

I cut and pasted this from another thread.

Is this the case with Plumbing and Electrical work in the UK.

People get fined and prosecuted in court over here for doing their own Plumbing & Electrical work.
They are 2 separate trades and you have to have completed a 4 year apprenticeship in each to obtain a licence / registration.

There was a case over here regarding and unlicensed electrician, he was fined @ £50,000 ( current conversion rates )
and the judge claimed that if a jail sentence could be implemented, the 'so-called' electrician would have done time.
Mind you this was a fairly serious set of circumstances.

How long has this been the situation over in the UK?

Oz Plumber

In the uk things only get done when people are getting killed by something, with plumbing it takes a fair cock up to do that.

gas however...

I would be one to vote in favour of something like this in the uk. What I dont agree with is in oz you need a different licence for different territories.

although there is talk of introducing a scheme like this in the motor industry. But you are correct people are free to ruin there own homes and potentially cause serious health risks without the risk of prosecution

I don't want any other body telling me what to do. Gassafe are there for the gas. But doesn't stop people doing gas work. Or make the gas trade more profitable

It's just going to be another drain on our bank accounts

And if this wasn't a public forum I would be more vocal about my views

Put simply. NO!

i would be open to it if they sorted out the gas and oil first.

Sorry but I strongly disagree. I'd love to see people accountable for the work they do. The likes of us are already so why shouldn't joe public be made to stand up and held to account for shoddy work that threatens life or property and puts the sanitary conditions of potable water at risk.

Joe public thinks we rip them off because our prices are too high and they can do it cheaper... But did they account for the check valves needed on the bidet did they put in the drain valve just after the stopcock? Small things that put our prices up that they don't see, or know about or understand why it needs to be there

Having thought about this for many years, I don't believe its worth the loss of freedom.

This supposed to be a free country. We accept some limits on freedom for the general good - so to be a doctor, lawyer, dentist or gas-fitter, you have to be regulated.

Plumbing just isn't in that category.

And where does it stop? So car mechanics lobby to prevent me from working on my own car? How long before roofers want to stop me nipping up a ladder to sort out that ridge tile?
Or will professional cooks object to my wife making her beef stroganoff unless she qualifies as food safe?

All these things can kill if done wrong. I bet they kill far more people than DIY plumbing does.

And I find it very, very hard to believe that anything is ever improved by a "government scheme".

based on all the exams I do, I wpould like to see it made illegal to sell gas related products to anyone without a ticket, easily set up and not expensive to run, ie just like ru 18 for booze a card is all u need to prove it.

Hi CW.
Plumbers in the UK don't need to be qualified, much the same as Electricians.
If you want to play with gas, then that's a whole different ballgame.

Hi all,

I cut and pasted this from another thread.

Is this the case with Plumbing and Electrical work in the UK.

People get fined and prosecuted in court over here for doing their own Plumbing & Electrical work.
They are 2 separate trades and you have to have completed a 4 year apprenticeship in each to obtain a licence / registration.

There was a case over here regarding and unlicensed electrician, he was fined @ £50,000 ( current conversion rates )
and the judge claimed that if a jail sentence could be implemented, the 'so-called' electrician would have done time.
Mind you this was a fairly serious set of circumstances.

How long has this been the situation over in the UK?

Oz Plumber

If that is the case Skippy,why can you shuffle down to Bunnings (oz bQ) and buy any plumbing gear you need,its the trades men who suffer in OZ,read between the lines chaps,if they brought out a 'Plumbing licence' here we would have another bill same as gassafe to pay,and joe public would still buy gear from BQ,and do there own stuff,been there and got the t shirt,In Perth there is plenty of Kosovans,Slovaks,plumbing with out a licence,do the plumbing police go after them noooo,do they sting brits for a ****load of money to pick up a spanner yessss,get real Skippy,

based on all the exams I do, I wpould like to see it made illegal to sell gas related products to anyone without a ticket, easily set up and not expensive to run, ie just like ru 18 for booze a card is all u need to prove it.

I hear this a lot, but I honestly don't think is practical or desirable.

I buy more gas related products than any of you, yet I don't have a ticket. And the difference between us and the back-bedroom re-seller is simply one of scale. In principle, we are both merchants.

Despite our "trade-only" policy, a very large number of our customers are not gas-safe registered but are still legit - they are housing associations, councils, MOD, universities, etc etc.

Also, we sell tons of products that "might be" gas-related, but might not.

We don't need new laws. We need the current ones enforcing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing Licence in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock