Search the forum,

Discuss Plumber's Trousers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ClaireW

Hi everyone

Hope you can give me some feedback if that's ok?

I'm currently looking at developing a range of trousers specifically aimed at certain industries for a project I'm working on. The first trade that came to mind was Plumbers.
Do you think there are things I could build in to a pair of trousers that would make them more suitable for your industry? I'm not convinced that your trade needs anything any different from other trades - the only thing I can think of is possibly magnetic areas (but wouldn't an electrician find that useful as well) or longer pockets for tools, but that could be generic too? Water resistant coatings maybe, like Teflon coating?

So I'd really appreciate it if any of you have any thoughts on what I could do to make a 'Plumber's Trouser' fit your needs, specifically.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - it's just I was reading the thread on Plumber's Combat Trousers, all the replies were general work trousers and it seems to me that there isn't anything that is made for your trade's individual needs and thought i'd ask for your help direct if you've got a chance to reply.

Thanks

Claire

Spare pair of Hands allways usefull !! But loads of work trousers on market.

Haha - not sure I can build some of those in - yes, I thought that would be the case, but I wondered if anyone could think of anything specific that could be built in to trousers that would improve the design specifically for plumbers - as I said in my original post I can't think of anything specific - but that's probably because I don't work day-in-day-out in the trade.

Thanks anyway

Claire

Well you better get ready for all smart replys, maybe you could design a work Kilt for all the guys North of the border. lol

I need one of those 'V's cut in the back of mine :) Any with elastic waist bands that can cope with this
fat-belly.jpg
:lol:

Not a personal picture I may add :)

Thinking about the trousers and the reason I change mine is usually the knee's hole!

Haha - thanks for that!! Intersting opening that in the middle of an office! :eek:mg_smile:

But thank you for the feedback on the knees, looking at Cordura or some other reinforcement fabric to use on those.

Claire

Not sure if it's already been done but ones with built in knee pads, not once you have to buy separate and add.
Magnetic areas might be a nuisance keep getting attached to washing machines and such like.
Definatly water proof knee areas.
How about a see through pouch around pocket area for I.d badge/gas safe card.

id say wider knee area and larger knee pads. and elasticated waist from for when were bending over etc

Thanks Dave

Plenty to think about there - I did wonder about the magnetic areas - I know there are machine gloves out there that have those built-in and wondered if it would work with trousers.
I've been thinking about the knee pad issue - you can actually wash the ones I use currently - just laid a chinese slate floor in my mums kitchen for her!! So I can't see why these can't actually be sewn in when they are made.
Anyway - thanks for the feedback - it's appreciated!

Claire

Thank you - yes, I suppose that would make sense as if you're a bit longer in the leg than others then the knee pad area needs to be in a different place really - so larger areas could work. Elasticated waists always make sense as well, but high enough up at the back to stop what happens in your profile pic - not many plumbers around look like the one in your profile pic I'm guessing!!

Claire

Well you better get ready for all smart replys, maybe you could design a work Kilt for all the guys North of the border. lol

Someone already makes them. No, really! :biggrin5:

[DLMURL="http://www.utilikilts.com/company/products/kilts/"]Kilts - UTILIKILTS[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that - that could be something for both electricians and plumbers I guess?

Claire

Haha - funny!! Tell you what it's expensive to look that different isn't it? $210.00!!!

Claire

Someone already makes them. No, really! :biggrin5:

[DLMURL="http://www.utilikilts.com/company/products/kilts/"]Kilts - UTILIKILTS[/DLMURL]

i love the survival one that holds multiple beer bottles

Last edited by a moderator:
Water resistant
Very hard wearing
Lots and lots of pockets, deeper the better but no velcro please
A dedicated pocket that actually holds pens, markers without them falling out
Black material, easier to hide the dirt!
Must be affordable, not hiked up designer prices-want to wear them to work, not a night club.

Go and have a look at Durakit work trousers on Tool station, ones I use and fulfill some of the points above for a decent price.

I'd pay more for some with some sort of gel or microbead knee pad instead of the foam ones that go hard and flat after a while. I've seem gel ones that strap round the knee but none to fit the pockets in trousers.

Hi everyone

Hope you can give me some feedback if that's ok?

I'm currently looking at developing a range of trousers specifically aimed at certain industries for a project I'm working on. The first trade that came to mind was Plumbers.
Do you think there are things I could build in to a pair of trousers that would make them more suitable for your industry? I'm not convinced that your trade needs anything any different from other trades - the only thing I can think of is possibly magnetic areas (but wouldn't an electrician find that useful as well) or longer pockets for tools, but that could be generic too? Water resistant coatings maybe, like Teflon coating?

So I'd really appreciate it if any of you have any thoughts on what I could do to make a 'Plumber's Trouser' fit your needs, specifically.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - it's just I was reading the thread on Plumber's Combat Trousers, all the replies were general work trousers and it seems to me that there isn't anything that is made for your trade's individual needs and thought i'd ask for your help direct if you've got a chance to reply.

Thanks

Claire

I think it's snickers who make the trousers for floor layers , perfect as they have water proof knee protection

I have tried about every make of work trousers, Snickers, Cats, Scruffs, Helly Hansen, and Dicky. Tried them all.

The best trousers, by a country mile are made by Fristdad. They are made of cotton, and breath. So you don't feel like you are wearing a sack on each leg. They stretch, they have codura in the knees, the knee pads are on the inside so don't move about and they have perfect pockets. The one on the left thigh fits my phone, the one on the right fits a stanely knife. The one next to the one on the right thigh fits a set of 12" grips and they have the usual holster pockets for all the other rubbish.

The model number of the ones I wear are: PS25 - 241. The place I buy them from has gone out of business. I'll find somewhere else to get them from. £50 well spent.

Oh and for those that mentioned it, they have a lttle clear card part (for ID) that tucks away when not in use. I never use it though.

Last edited:
I think Snickers are the best:wink_smile:

Try the Fristads, they're much more comfortable.

I think Snickers come a close second. Dickers are horrible, and CATS aren't nice at all. Helly Hensons are OK but the fabric is too thick.

On a more sensible note, something that doesn't require ironing would be a bonus. It's a shame to spend a fair amount on clothing then for it to look so scruffy after it's first wash because you haven't time (or can't be bothered) to iron it.

Also, a quick drying material. Sometimes you'll take off on arrival at home, throw them in wash then want to wear them the next morning.

Wait a minute DKIA - you mean to say you wash and iron your work clothes.

I've had the same trousers for 3 years, and the same white (well grey now) tee shirt and I've never once washed or ironed them. Infact I sleep in them too.

It's the only way to feel totally comfortable on the job.

I only change them once the crotch has worn through... and even then I leave it a week or ten.

:) :) Honest.

Basically, trousers that dont hoover up any water when you sit in a puddle (as often happens) so water resistant, breathable (Goretex maybe) Fire retardant with built in knee pads (gel filled if possible), detachable wipe rag, deep pockets and dont give you an electric shock when you jump out the van.. (maybe that's my polyester grundies)..
oh yeah, and black, gotta be black.. and silicon resistant.. now theres a challenge in itself..

holster pockets with magnetic close flap.
stops all the bits falling out when on your back.

B and silicon resistant.. now theres a challenge in itself..

That would be the one that would stand them out from the others. It is easy to tell the plumber on any big site.
The one with silicon all over his trousers.

Helly Hanson or Strauss for me. Whatever they are made of needs to be permanently colour fast. She gets me to drop them (in front of the washing machine) every night. Btw no complaints from the laundry dept on HH or Strauss. They keep their colour and are ready to wear without a crease straight out the tumble drier. (she hates snickers :lol:)

Around the groin area the stitching starts to split (maybe Im wearing the wrong size..) but I think another company have got round this or so Im told but yet to see a pair. I agree velcro is no good, zips better, maybe a small amount of light reflective material on them. Kneeling down a lot so maybe the material can be looser around the knees. Bottom of trousser made of tougher material as they frey a bit, stronger stitching on pockets, bigger mobile pouch as most too small for blackberry/i phone. Dark colours dont show dirt hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber's Trousers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock