Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbers trick to keep having to call back ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbee

we have had a plumbers call as arranged, and do the annual boiler inspection on our central heating system(oil), 2 arrived, and they said they had to take a picture of the water tank in the loft, then inspect the boiler etc., so one went into the loft for a few minutes, as the other had a fiddle in the airing cupboard, then he came down from the loft and inspected the actual boiler in the old coalshed adjoining the house. After a while they said all was done, and I had to sign the worksheet..it just had on it that he had arrived at the correct time and had done the annual check and service, I asked out of interest what work had been done( we rent), and he said he had to fit a new thermostat, which I thought a bit strange at the time, but i'm no plumber!!We had had absolutely no problems with the heating or hot water before his visit, but now the water only heats up when the central heating is on and then you set the hot water to constant, regardless of wht is set on the control box, it says the water should be on, the light is on, but no hot water... The central heating system works fine. I am sure the company he works for is ripping off the landlords(and of course in turn the tenants) by fixing the system so every time they do a service a problem ensues, as a very similar situation occurred last year..does anyone know of any "trick" that a plumber could do so this problem would happen and then they would obviously get a call out again and more business? Since the visit there is an empty thermostat box in the cupboard as well as a 3amp fuse..Also the electric water heater now does not work, although the light on the plug comes on as if it is heating up, I have tried turning up the temperature to see if it is that but it makes no difference(and I can't hear a click as you can when it reaches the temperature that it should start heating up.)Any info would be appreciated, as I would like to make sure that when the plumbers do come back to fix the problem I wan to make sure they do not charge, as I am very suspect about the work that they have supposedly done. any advice please??

If you have doubts you are probably best to discreetly raise your concerns with the landlord. The landlord will use the existing people in good faith and no doubt appreciate being informed of your suspicion, and it is up to him to pursue it to determine whether the tradesmen are honest or not. As far as what has been done, my advice would be to (discretely) get another technician to check it out. What you suggest does occasionally happen with certain individuals but there may also be a perfectly honest explanation.

If they were only quick, they will have only undertaken a landlord safety check and not a service of the boiler or system.

Last edited:
cant comment on these lads they may have just made a small error and we can all do that but i can say that if you are working as a plumber and want to rip people off then you can very easily do it but the fact is only a very small amount of em do it and they are hated in the industry by all the honest and hard working people who do this job because they get us all a bad name you will allways have a small element of that type in every line of work and its a big shame only good part is it allways catches up with them and they have very short carrears and then move on to something else

a bit like asking if a shop worker short changes people on a regular basis imo!!!

of course some will until you question it but most are genuine and if i were not the one paying i would not have anything to worry about.

I am paying aren't I? just because they charge the landlord it doesn't mean the landlord wont of course pass this charge on next time..pretty obvious isn't it? im not saying all plumbers are dishonest, far from that, otherwise I wouldn't be asking other plumbers would I? I am just asking if there are any commonly known things that someone can do to replicate this sort of thing happening, as a very similar thing happened last year too, and when they came back it was fixed really quickly, nothing was wrong before the "service " either time, and yet they still had a call out again each time..

The plumbing company would have to pay for the second call out, surely?

and the shop owner will have to correct the shortfall of change!!!!!!!!

And I have had to tell my kids that they cant have a bath tonight because there is no hot water..and that all because some idiot who works for them thinks its clever to not do his job properly, there are obviously lots of things plumbers can and do do, thats why the obvious disinterest in any advice!! oh, and the shopkeeper has to make up the shortfall yes, and then charges all the other innocent customers a little more to make up for the "idiots" should I say, (for want of a better word, who are quite happy to rip people off), I'm not asking about shopkeepers or shopworkers, just plumbers!!

just tell the landlord of your concerns, have you reported it yet??. If a different plumber takes a look and finds its been doctor'd in some way then the landlord can take action. If the landlord sends the same guys back then theres probably not alot you can do about it unless you follow them and record what they do i guess.

not alot a plumber or anybody can do or suggest over a kepboard other than whats been said really, good luck.

Last edited:
And I have had to tell my kids that they cant have a bath tonight because there is no hot water..and that all because some idiot who works for them thinks its clever to not do his job properly, there are obviously lots of things plumbers can and do do, thats why the obvious disinterest in any advice!! oh, and the shopkeeper has to make up the shortfall yes, and then charges all the other innocent customers a little more to make up for the "idiots" should I say, (for want of a better word, who are quite happy to rip people off), I'm not asking about shopkeepers or shopworkers, just plumbers!!

Please don't get snotty with us.

Of course there's tricks we can pull to force a call back just as there with ANY profession, blue or white collar, but why would we do that? Our businesses are built on our reputations.

While we sympathise we cannot really pinpoint what has happened, deliberate or otherwise.

As stated previously, contact your landlord with your problem and your concerns, and let him deal with it.

i agree. you really should involve your landlord with this, i'm sure they would like to know if they are being "ripped off" by these plumbers in some way.

Please don't get snotty with us.

Of course there's tricks we can pull to force a call back just as there with ANY profession, blue or white collar, but why would we do that? Our businesses are built on our reputations.

While we sympathise we cannot really pinpoint what has happened, deliberate or otherwise.

As stated previously, contact your landlord with your problem and your concerns, and let him deal with it.

Yes, he has got a bit snotty. However, reading his post it was a well formulated and well written post with a genuine concern, unfortunately, he got a couple of flippant replies which he responded to!

Very easy for us to get defensive, which, I am quite sensitive to but in this case I (as a profession) did not feel attacked.

I actually read one of his responses and I can see his point.

The op is looking for a definitive answer. To give that would set the precedence and the opinion that we're all at it.

Well written yes, and annoyed because he hasn't had the answers he thinks we should be giving.

There was one flippant post. I'm dealing with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
well thanks all anyway, I don't see how it could set a precedence, just because you wont say how to do it doesn't mean you don't know, in fact, it's as if there definitely something to hide here isn't it? that's why everyone says yes of course we can rip you off in loads of ways, loads of people in all other walks of life do it, but we never will because, well we are honest, but we wont say what they might have done because that will mean we are dishonest, doesn't make sense does it..i don't know who you are and don't want to, couldn't care less if you rip customers of or not, its up to you how you decide to live your life, but I would imagine that being a forum where people ask advice on..well, plumbing..,it did make sense to ask a question on...well, plumbing, and maybe get some plumbing advice.. I can't possibly see why they would want to take a picture of the water tank?? It's a black plastic tank with water in it!! Thats what made me think they were up to something at first..then when the water was cold whilst it should have been hot, and still doesn't get hot whilst set to on, and the radiators working fine, and then the electric water heater doesn't work either when it did a couple of weeks ago(oh, and they have put a new thermostat in..)...that's why I was just asking..it seems pretty obvious that they have done something doesn't it, not quite a "usual" service or even check up, if all was working fine before but not afterwards...I have had a look but haven't got a clue what to look for, that's why I thought I would just ask....I was in no way implying that any other plumber here or elsewhere was dishonest (but I would probably..even more so after some answers!!...imagine there are lots, just like any profession), I just hoped that maybe an honest one would say"you know what, it sounds like they have done this or that, and are waiting for the next call out", (which although I am going to have to do on Monday, I am reluctant to do as they have somewhat annoyed me and I don't have a clue what to watch for when they do come back ..) I would have liked some advice, I have had some, thanks to those who gave the sensible advice, the ones who got all defensive, well, maybe they could think on next time they do some clever "trick" to get a callout and earn a bit of extra income, what if we were all like that, the world would be a lot worse place wouldn't it. I really dont think it is too much to ask to say "yeah they probably did this or that"..but there you go..you live and learn!!..I still don't see why even the most basic of things to look for has been advised to me...but there you go..read into that what you will!

As you have been told time and time and time again, it's your landlords responsibility, his money and his worry.

Report your concerns to him and let him deal with it.

I believe I also warned you not to get snotty. Take this as your final warning.

the picture required was of the valves and immersion in the airing cupbpoard. If the immersion no longer works, could be a loose connection on it or other such issue or the thermostat set to low. re the hw/ch issue , wiring fualt or faulty micro switch or faulty programmer to name a few issues. However unless your there you cant tell. ref dodgy plumbers who knows, its not good to lay blame until theres proper evidence so hard to say. I was accused of dodgy work this morning after a rad i put in 3 years ago started weeping at a valve, so was it my fault or had the cleaner wacked it with a vacuum breaking the seal, hasnt leaked in 3 years but everyone seems to want to blame the installer.

Wow, some post.

Frustrating when somebody comes out and doesn't sort something to your satisfaction. You are a tenant and as such have certain rights. Excercise these rights with your landlord and get it sorted.

As a tenant myself, if I had problems I wouldn't waste time looking for somebody to tell me what I wanted to hear on a forum but would be picking up the phone and contacting the landlord.

I hope you get sorted, but please pick up the phone and speak to your landlord.

well thanks all anyway, I don't see how it could set a precedence, just because you wont say how to do it doesn't mean you don't know, in fact, it's as if there definitely something to hide here isn't it? that's why everyone says yes of course we can rip you off in loads of ways, loads of people in all other walks of life do it, but we never will because, well we are honest, but we wont say what they might have done because that will mean we are dishonest, doesn't make sense does it..i don't know who you are and don't want to, couldn't care less if you rip customers of or not, its up to you how you decide to live your life, but I would imagine that being a forum where people ask advice on..well, plumbing..,it did make sense to ask a question on...well, plumbing, and maybe get some plumbing advice.. I can't possibly see why they would want to take a picture of the water tank?? It's a black plastic tank with water in it!! Thats what made me think they were up to something at first..then when the water was cold whilst it should have been hot, and still doesn't get hot whilst set to on, and the radiators working fine, and then the electric water heater doesn't work either when it did a couple of weeks ago(oh, and they have put a new thermostat in..)...that's why I was just asking..it seems pretty obvious that they have done something doesn't it, not quite a "usual" service or even check up, if all was working fine before but not afterwards...I have had a look but haven't got a clue what to look for, that's why I thought I would just ask....I was in no way implying that any other plumber here or elsewhere was dishonest (but I would probably..even more so after some answers!!...imagine there are lots, just like any profession), I just hoped that maybe an honest one would say"you know what, it sounds like they have done this or that, and are waiting for the next call out", (which although I am going to have to do on Monday, I am reluctant to do as they have somewhat annoyed me and I don't have a clue what to watch for when they do come back ..) I would have liked some advice, I have had some, thanks to those who gave the sensible advice, the ones who got all defensive, well, maybe they could think on next time they do some clever "trick" to get a callout and earn a bit of extra income, what if we were all like that, the world would be a lot worse place wouldn't it. I really dont think it is too much to ask to say "yeah they probably did this or that"..but there you go..you live and learn!!..I still don't see why even the most basic of things to look for has been advised to me...but there you go..read into that what you will!

to add a neutral view here,

1. it is strange that they went into the attic and airing cupboard when only doing a service
2. it is strange they changed the thermostat without telling you first
3. have they caused a problem instead of fixing? I could not possibly say as can not see it but yes they could of possibly left a cable loose on purpose and whenever I fit a new thermostat I always check that everything is working before I leave
4. I couldnt tell you how to look to see as this could be dangerous and could lead to you trying to take things apart and have no heating or hot water or cause injury to yourself.

Best case scenario, they have not wired thermostat right.

worst case scenario, they have pulled a wire out on purpose to get a call back

IMHO they have not done job properly and should come back for free, but why care, ring your landlord and get it fixed.

I certainly do know that all was working fine before I opened the door the them, but was not when they left... but I don't know anything about plumbing, the clues are certainly all there aren't they?? that's why I asked for advice..thanks

the service was at about 11 am, the fault was noticed at about 5.30 in the evening when I ran the bath, then when I switched the immersion heater on(because there was no hot water for a bath as there usually is), the light on the switch came on to show it was on, but that didn't heat up the water either!!

You asked for advice. You've been given it on a few occasions.

As a tenant you have rights, it is up to your landlord to provide.

Said before. Let him deal.

I went in to a customers house on Friday, turned the mains off to move a washing machine valve in the kitchen, turned the water back on and water started dripping through the kitchen ceiling. Ballofixs to the basin upstairs just decided to leak from the screw.... Sometimes these things happen, pure coincidence.

it was a routine annual boiler service(or check up) whatever you call it, there was no problem reported to them, and there was no problem before they arrived(unless there was one hell of a coincidence and it all went wrong as they walked out of the door. No, I didn't check to see if there was hot water before they left, I didn't see any need to, I don't know anything about plumbing, but I just thought they were going to do the usual annual boiler service, and then they found something wrong and changed the thermostat, not stop the water heating up. I would have had to make them stop and wait for the water to get to the usual temperature then check with them the boiler was working properly, then check all the radiators etc., I asked him if any work had been done before I signed the form to say he had been, and he said he had changed the thermostat, which I though bit strange as it seemed to me to all be working fine, but I am not a plumber!! I would not of course touch the wiring for fear of blowing myself up, so don't worry, i'm hardly going to start messing about with stuff, I just want to watch exactly what happens when they turn up next week to repair it..i just wanted to know what to look for!!

When they changed the thermostat probably did wrong wiring. Why they changed the thermostat when there was no need, you need to ask that to your landlord aswell if he/she asked them to do!

I can see your point, pure coincidence does happen sometimes, but I think I would be pretty unlucky for the new thermostat(the old one seemed to be working fine) not to be working, and also the boiler not heating the hot water too wouldn't I, surely he would have checked the new thermostat was working?

and the immersion is probably faulty, nothing to do with them, just that you only just noticed it because you needed it and havent used it for months/ years.

probably as said before, faulty wiring to be honest.

Immersion stat.

You definitely don't use the oil to heat your water no?

why is anybody even bothering with this thread? total waste of time and best answers have been given time and time again. This is a forum for plumbers and people who want to discuss plumbing issues mystic meg we are not.

I have got the water to heat up by doing this: switch off the central heating on the timer/settings box, (so I can hear the boiler turn off) then turning the hot water off too, make sure the central heating temperature dial is the set to hotter than it is so it will come on when I switch it on again, then put the button to"constant" on central heating, after the boiler has come on I also put the hot water switch to"constant", (the LED display dims a little when I do this..) then turn the central heating to auto and leave the hot water on constant, the hot water then heats up...

I usually do use the oil to heat the water, only use the electric every now and the, haven't used it for a few weeks, but last time I did it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbers trick to keep having to call back ?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock