Discuss Plumber fined after causing an explosion... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Destroyed someone's house and could have killed them......£500 pound fine that seems a little "light"!

Should have disconnected immersion heater, but not being part P wanted to stay legal.

Sounds nasty lucky he wasn't looking at a death and prison sentence.

Wonder what exactly he did? It says it was a copper cylinder.
Assuming it was a vented cylinder I guess he turned the feed off to it and removed & plugged the vent pipe going into attic. He mustn't have a clue

Without knowing full facts we should maybe reserve judgement. many cold water feeds can be isolated by gate valve in airing cupboard, and not getting hot water the householder could have closed this when plumber left it open. Also with no hot water available, why immersion was on is a mystery. Add to that, the thermo. cut out was faulty or system would not have boiled.

for it too rupture,vent must have been capped as already stated,luckily no one died,guy should go down for gross stupidity

Capping vent would be an unnecessary act of stupidity, which leads one to wonder if pipe was bent over and pushed aside by chippy. Cylinders are reputed to implode under vacuum conditions but no one gets prosecuted.

Some things i read here 1, The plumber inexperienced to take the job on or was never trained properly in the first instance and assumed that was correct procedure.

2, The customer could have also been to tight to spend the correct amount of money to get the job done properly.

The way I read it is;

Existing was Cold Storage tank in loft connected to vented cylinder.

Cold Storage tank was removed, the existing cylinder converted to unvented except it had no Exp vessel or Pressure relief.

Burnley Magistrates’ Court heard how, in May 2014, Lee Barrett failed to put in place the appropriate safety devices when removing an existing water tank for a loft conversion. He had, effectively, created a closed water system combined with an old immersion heater, which allowed water to heat to 100ºC in a copper cylinder.

Last edited:
The way I read it is;

Existing was Cold Storage tank in loft connected to vented cylinder.

Cold Storage tank was removed, the existing cylinder converted to unvented except it had no Exp vessel or Pressure relief.

Burnley Magistrates’ Court heard how, in May 2014, Lee Barrett failed to put in place the appropriate safety devices when removing an existing water tank for a loft conversion. He had, effectively, created a closed water system combined with an old immersion heater, which allowed water to heat to 100ºC in a copper cylinder.

It does seem he must have just converted a copper cylinder to unvented, but surely no vented copper cylinder is capable of being converted and be safe. The proper unvented copper units were very heavy built & had all the extra connections for safety valve etc.
I think the plumber wasn't really up to the job. Sort of bloke you get coming with a builder perhaps.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see if they investigate any of his other previous work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber fined after causing an explosion... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and...
Replies
Views
Hi, would anyone like to hazard a guess at what's causing this problem on the ground floor of our house? As you can see, the bottom of both sides...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve...
Replies
Views
B
Just recently started about a day ago, once I turn off the faucet, water continues to keep trickling out for a few more seconds, rather than...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock