Discuss Please tell me I'm missing something? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Harni

Half way through fitting my new bathroom and I've come to plumbing up the sink. Ive used a compression joint on one 90 degree and when i filled it all up, it was weeping. Tried nipping it up to the point where i wasn't comfortable to tighten it any further and still leaking. Wrapped the olive in PTFE and still weeping (albeit not as bad).Its only a 5cm bit of pipe to another join so I've replaced that incase it had been squeezed and still weeping.
What are the chances of it being a badly made fitting? Ive never had that or heard of it before but its the only thing i can think of? Anything else to try before i make the 15 mile drive tomorrow to my "local" plumbing store for a replacement?

Cheers!

If it's weeping from one side only, flip the bend round and see if the leak stays on the same side or moves to the other end, this will identify if the pipe or the bend or washer is faulty, compression waste fittings only need to be hand tight, so if it's nipped and ptfe tape on it then there is an issue with the way the washer is fitted or there is a split in pipe/fitting

Think there may be some confusion here. Are we talking copper pipe with a copper / brass olive or white plastic pipe with rubber cone seal which is hand tight only ?

If it is copper pipe joined with a brass compression fitting, then important to make sure the pipe is going as straight as possible into the fitting & not at a slight angle. Very easy to have thus happening where a pipe is coming out of a wall up behind a basin, for example. Sometimes you need to give the pipe some movement by enlarging the hole if from a stud wall.
Also use a smear of paste on olives to seal all compression joints. Jet Lube is good.

Half way through fitting my new bathroom and I've come to plumbing up the sink. Ive used a compression joint on one 90 degree and when i filled it all up, it was weeping. Tried nipping it up to the point where i wasn't comfortable to tighten it any further and still leaking. Wrapped the olive in PTFE and still weeping (albeit not as bad).Its only a 5cm bit of pipe to another join so I've replaced that incase it had been squeezed and still weeping.
What are the chances of it being a badly made fitting? Ive never had that or heard of it before but its the only thing i can think of? Anything else to try before i make the 15 mile drive tomorrow to my "local" plumbing store for a replacement?

Cheers!

call a plumber that lives 2 miles away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please tell me I'm missing something? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Back