Discuss Please recommend a heating system... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SimonH

Hi all,

Firstly, please be gentle with me as I know next to nothing about boilers :)

We wish to replace our Gledhill Gulfstream - it has not worked properly for over a year now (overheat cutout trips constantly) and nobody, not even Gledhill themselves, has been able to fix it (and of course Gledhill have now closed their boiler operation...).

The Gledhill is floor mounted in an internal cupboard (i.e. not on an external wall) with flue into the attic. It has a thermal store so we have no separate hot water tank.

The house is a large 4 bed with 2 bathrooms.

We have been given two alternatives so far - a system boiler with a new hot-water tank, or a combi boiler such as a Worcester-Bosch 440.

Both approaches sound expensive (haven't had a firm quote yet though), the 440 sounds most like a straight replacement - but I worry that it is similar in approach to the troublesome Gledhill.

Please let me know your thoughts on the best approach for us.

Thanks in advance :)

well if the boiler hasnt got a fault, has a fault on the system been ruled out. Blockage of sludge? has it been flushed?

Hello Jimbob, sorry not to be clear, the fault is with the boiler and cannot be repaired hence the need for a replacement :)

a new heating system is dependant on your requirements. system boiler and combis have their pros and cons. combi boiler lacks hot water pressure. but its hot water when needed. system boiler stores hot water so needs energy to keep it hot, but water pressure is same even if all taps opened at same time.

a new heating system is dependant on your requirements. system boiler and combis have their pros and cons. combi boiler lacks hot water pressure. but its hot water when needed. system boiler stores hot water so needs energy to keep it hot, but water pressure is same even if all taps opened at same time.
combis very seldom lack preasure for the hot water however the do have reduced flow rates compared to other systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please recommend a heating system... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock