Discuss Please help, I can't turn off my radiator :-( in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claire27

Hi All,

A stupid question from a dumb blonde I'm afraid :-(

I have a Potterton Promax System HE plus boiler and a Horstmann ChannelPlus H27XL (control panel thingy, not sure what the name for this is but it sets when the heating and water comes on). Anways I have a radiator in my hall way which hasn't got a turney thing with the numbers on it (not sure of the technical name) to actually turn it off. All my other radiators have this and that’s how I have turned them off. My problem now is that every morning the radiator in my hall comes on and as far as I can see there is no way of turning it off :-(

The control panel is set so the water comes on at 7am and the heating (HTG) is set to off. When the water comes on the boiler fires up and for some reason it heats that radiator. Should having the control panel set to off for the heating be enough for this radiator to not turn on?

Again apologies if this is a stupid question or indeed the wrong forum to post to

Thanks

Claire

Hi Claire27 ... you're in the right forum :)

Sounds like you have a problem with your control valve (Diverter valve or Zone valve) that should be shutting off the heating when you don't want it on. Either that or a wiring issue. You're gonna need someone to sort it! :)

Seems Diamondgas has covered everything, I take it all your other "turney things" (TRV's) are in the off position? I'm sure Claire that there are thousands of Engineers in here absolutely chomping at the bit to help you depending on where you are.

Wow thanks guys, I'm glad it isn't me that's being stupid.......

I have a maintenance contract with British Gas so I'm hoping they can come out and fix it. If not i'll be looking to get someone in for sure

Wow thanks guys, I'm glad it isn't me that's being stupid.......

I have a maintenance contract with British Gas so I'm hoping they can come out and fix it. If not i'll be looking to get someone in for sure

Yep the BG guy's should be able tro sort it for you Claire :)

Excelent terminology Claire, from now on i will use your phrase "turney thing"

TRV = turney radiator valve lol

Hope you get it sorted

Bob

it will be the rad left with 2 lockshields so you CAN'T turn it off. so the boiler always has a circuit for when the pump kicks in.

i reckon your problem does not lie with the radiator but with the zone valve as diamond gas says. the result is that the boiler thinks there is a demand for heat when there isn't

How old is the system? does that rad in the all come on all year round, summer/ winter heating on heating off? If the rad has two lock shield valves on it so that you can't turn it off it would give the impression to me that this the heat leak rad that is piped direct from the primaries, it is part of an older system design, from before auto bypasses, it is designed to allow any unused heat from the boiler, once the cylinder and heating circuts have been satisfied to dissapate. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please help, I can't turn off my radiator :-( in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock