Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic to lead stack pipe new joint - am I on the right track? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

t4sporter

Hi, I'm trying to post a new thread but it seems to think I'm a spammer or something. Maybe it's to do with the fact that I've just tried to paste my question in. Just posting this in the hopes that I can post my actual question in reply!

I'm Anna, by the way, a forum newbie and complete plumbing novice..

No, still being blocked. Is there a moderator around who can help?

Welcome to the forum Anna and just to let you know that your first 10 posts will be held back until a mod scans it for spam, after that any post will show quicker.

So what size plastic pipe do you want to connect to the stack? Don`t think it will be lead, more likely cast.

Wow I'm really not having a good day with technology! Just lost another beautifully crafted post.

Thankfor your responses. Essentially it's a lead vertical stack pipe in a victorian building. Ground floor = cafe. First floor = our flat. Three floors above = one large HMO property with which we share common entrance/staircase. The stack pipe is in the party wall next to the staircase, with a full-height access panel. Problem is there is essentially no drainage at the principal level of our flat - the bathroom is actually outside our flat on the next landing up, where the stairs return. The toilet, sink, shower, etc, feed in here. Below this is a sort of under-stairs cupboard accessed from within our flat, containing a small sink that represents the extent of the kitchen (!) and then beyond that there is a bulkhead that goes over the staircase below as it comes up from ground floor level. So the sink drains over this thigh-high bulkhead.

Still with me?! We need to put a proper bathroom and kitchen inside the flat, which means drainage at a lower point than the lowest existing joint to that stack. Even if we can use a macerator and pump to get toilet waste up and over the bulkhead and utilise that existing sink drainage with a smaller pipe, there will also be kitchen waste coming in from the front room of the flat (essentially further along the same party wall as the stack pipe, so we can chase along the wall beside the stairs and in that way).

I've done some reading up on here and it seems like my options are either to wipe in a piece of copper then connect the plastic on to that, or use some sort of rubber/finned connector. However I spoke to Fernco/Flexseal today and they said they do not recommend the use of their products.

Am I on the right lines? Is it even possible to cut into a vertical pipe low down like this without compromising its structural viability? Builders are telling me they can't quote for the work until they know the extent of the plumbing work involved. So here I am, getting a quick education on the subject! Any advice would be gratefully received!

Anna :)

Oh and just to pre-empt the suggestion that we replace it with a plastic stack, the local authority is the freeholder and we are really in need of starting work asap... I dread to think how long it would take them to collectively decide the answer was no!

I earn my living working with macerators and my advice to you is don`t go that route unless you have no other option. They use electricity so should there be a power cut for whatever reason then you are stuffed and they need cleaning and repairing from time to time like any other machine.

And to add, they are not allowed to be your only toilet in a property.

Ha, yes I gather they're pretty unpleasant! If we can possibly avoid it we DEFINITELY will be! However if we do use one we will also have to leave a toilet in the upstairs bathroom in case of power cuts.

Ha, yes I gather they're pretty unpleasant! If we can possibly avoid it we DEFINITELY will be! However if we do use one we will also have to leave a toilet in the upstairs bathroom in case of power cuts.

There are only unpleasent when stufffed full of wet wipes or sanitary items which shouldn`t be flushed down any toilet, correctly installed, used and maintained they can be a god send as many 1000`s of people will tell you.

I guess we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it, but I can't see a way around needing to cut into that stack. Do you think it's possible/advisable? My husband is thinking we should sell the flat just because of this issue, but his father left it to him and I think it would be a real shame to admit defeat. There must be a solution, surely?

the reason you cant use a rubber coupling with lead is the lead would distort when the clip was tightened the used to do plastic shrink fittings for just this but we never found them much good
personally i would boss the lead out to take a piece of plastic internally then use a rubber coupling but that will depend on the condition of the lead stack
its probably easy enough to wipe copper in up to 50 mmm but would be difficult to wipe in a 4 inch hardest bit would be finding a plumber who still has the cloths etc

Thanks Steve, that's really helpful.

Don't suppose you know anyone who does have the cloths..? The flat's in North London.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plastic to lead stack pipe new joint - am I on the right track? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock