Discuss planning DIY plumbing next weekend, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gungaabayar

Im planning to do some DIY plumbing in my one bedroom flat which has currently S plan open vent CH and HW system (with 5 rads and heat only boiler)

1. Drain off the system
2. replace 2 old rads with new one
3. replace old style bypass valve (lockshield gate valve) with new Auto Bypass Valve
4. refill with inhibitor

I replaced one old rad week ago and refilled the system with X400 cleaner. had no problem to change the rad, but I didnt refill properly cos no water comes to any rad. I must've made something wrong, called a plumber and he back filled, by the way cold feed is not blocked. he said just air lock inside a pipe.

so what I am aware of when draining off and refilling the system this time? Ive read so many times like drain off and refill it.

I just wanna know following things before I start my DIY plumbing next week

how to drain properly (obviosly I will drain all rads , openig all vent point)
a) Do I have to open zone valves manually when Im draining the system? (I didnt when Im draining week ago)

b) in order to stop cold feed to the system do I have to close gate valve of the feed tank with the ball valve open or leave ball valve up position with the gate valve open (means emptying feed tank)?

c) do I need to drain boiler as well and how?

How to refill properly:
d) Do I have to leave all rads' vent OPEN before start refilling?
e) Do I have to leave ZVs open manually during refilling? ( I didnt leave them open during refill week ago)f) Do I have to leave rads drain valve open until water reaches to that point?

so what else Im should be aware of not getting airlock which happened to me last week?

any advice is very helpfull

many thanks

no, when refilling do one rad at a time otherwise you will be running around trying to close the vents as the water is spraying everywhere (bit dramatic lol)

ok cheers,
just wondering leaving rad valve open while refilling may help to not get airlock in the system,

Why would you do that for?

Just come on here and get free advice and step by step instructions on how to solve your problem.

Next step will be a live video link with 100 plumbers giving advice to DIY'ers doing their own plumbing.

What a excellent idea with the video link, we could make a charge for it and never have to leave home to earn a living, they could even do own heating repairs, but that would cost a little extra, We could even go Global & earn a fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to planning DIY plumbing next weekend, in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back