Search the forum,

Discuss Pipes violently banging on biomass installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BEC

Hello there,
thanks for taking the time to read this. Bit of a tricky one I think. I got called to a biomass boiler installation about 2 years old (not mine) where the central heating pipes inside the house are banging when the water temp at the boiler gets to 40 odd degrees. It is a 40kW herz boiler and there is a 4000l (yes, that's 4 thousand!!!) buffer vessel which is obviously between the boiler and the central heating.
What's confusing me is that the banging only begins when the boiler itself heats up but I would have thought that the effects of any air/unsupported pipes etc. would comfortably be absorbed by the massive buffer vessel.
the customer has kept his old oil boiler which he is using while we come up with a solution. This boiler bypasses the buffer straight onto the central heating and he has had no problems with it.

If you've got any ideas on this please let me know cos it's got me stumped!
cheers
mike

Depends how it's been piped up to allow the biomass & oil boiler to operate on the same system... Could be a faulty check valve or a pump / motor valve on the biomass side? 4000 litres seems big for any 40kw boiler lol??

Sounds like it's kettling mate, sure it's only 40?

Yeah, the customer said that it was at 40 (I wasn't actually there at the time) so that made me rule out kettling. I had wondered about a 3-way motorised valve between the flow and return on the biomass side which was buzzing in a strange way but I don't see why that would make such a violent shaking of the pipes. Can you tell me different?
Yes, it is 4000l. I don't know why it's so big but I don't think it's doing any harm, he's just got a massive buffer!

Not kettling.
How many 3ports are on the back of the boiler. Should be two with a 4 tonne buffer. 35mm pipework.
Is one of them thermostatic or electric?
Thermo ones bang when they're :nono:.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is just one 3-port on the back of the boiler and it's an electric

Check it even opens. And at what point its bangin.

Sorry croppie its part of my nature

Depends how it's been piped up to allow the biomass & oil boiler to operate on the same system... Could be a faulty check valve or a pump / motor valve on the biomass side? 4000 litres seems big for any 40kw boiler lol??

4000 is way to big 2000 at most
What size expansion vessel is on system
How big is house

Fella came onsite to ask for help. Your trying. I'm asking what direction your trying to help in.

So no, you didn't.

Again did I ask you the question
That problem could be caused by lots of factors
Start simple first

Not by a larger buffer tank.
If vessel was bad, there'd be 500liters of water on his floor every time it turned on.
I don't know about the house bit.

And I said already, you didn't ask me. I was asking you. I'm trying to help the OP out.

Can't you work with others?

Yes I can
but seems you have an attitude
I asked the op the question
Rule of thumb would be 50 litres for every kw so buffer to big imo if expansion vessel to small and no safety valve
I've seen them capped plenty of times
Could be a huge pump on system for a small house set on max all underfloor actuators closed but pump wired wrong and running no bypass pipes badly clipped iron or sb clips can make a right rattle
So yes I do think my questions and I've plenty more are relevant

Thanks. I'm asking so I can learn. Not to tread on your toes.
I think its specific to the biomass boiler otherwise he would have issues with the oil boiler running too.

Have a nice night.

Bio mass to buffer will have its own pump possibly a laddomat
Or just a esbe valve for back end protection

And oil boiler would also have its own pump
Then a pump from buffer to house

You wasn't asking to learn you was trying to be pedantic

Don't get me wrong, I don't think your right, but I know that doesn't make me right ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't think your right, but I know that doesn't make me right ;)

FFS ,thats it both your handbags are being confiscated,stop squabbling ,the [pair of you or croppie will come and try to look you in the eye

I've got a wardrobe of handbags though..

Edit: Dude chill out. Its the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi do you have any hydraulic separation between the biomass boiler, buffer and the Heating system.

Does the Customer have a plate heat exchanger or is it piped direct, to the heating system.

Hi does the system have any hydraulic separation. Is the heating piped direct or does the customer have a plate heat exchanger.

Hi do you have any hydraulic separation between the biomass boiler, buffer and the Heating system.

Does the Customer have a plate heat exchanger or is it piped direct, to the heating system.

Hi Ashling,

no, there is no hydraulic separation. Just goes boiler-buffer-house with pump on the house side. Upon closer inspection of this system I have seem that the 3-port is not operating correctly so I am going to change that out for a thermostatic and see what happens.

thanks for your help everyone who contributed! Will let you know what happened.

Ok, so eventually got to the bottom of the problem after sitting for about 4 hours waiting for the whole boiler to heat up! The three-port on the boiler to buffer side was faulty and wasn't diverting heat back into the return. This was causing the boiler temp to rise above 95 and then ( this is what was throwing me) the automatic coolant kicked in firing water through the internal heat exchanger to prevent overheating. This caused the cold water pipes in the house to shake which was what raised the issue in the first place.

swapped out the three port, boiler doing nicely and no more banging pipes. Thanks for your help people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipes violently banging on biomass installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock