Discuss pipe damage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fire

i am a sparky and wanted to know what is the best thing to do as a first aid in the event of me cutting a gas or water pipe when cutting floor boards

turn water of ,turn gas OFF ! valve is next to gas meter if in flats will have one on point of entry to flat !
call gas engineer and hope he /she will not charge u double cos u r electrician :):):):):)

If you cut into gas main, isolate at meter open all doors and windows and call transco (or whatever they are called now). If you cut into water just turn off the main stopcock to the house and call a plumber/heating engineer.

If its a nice house though and you may have caused some damage..................................RUN LIKE THE WIND

Turn the water and gas off? Best way is prevention, use one of those metal detecting devices before cutting into the boards.

i am a sparky and wanted to know what is the best thing to do as a first aid in the event of me cutting a gas or water pipe when cutting floor boards
Mmm, call a plumber?

Next run like hell for the exit.

run like ,blame the apprentice,its not your fault they are in mong mode again(mong mode original version by tamz used under licence now widely used by me and my colleague to describe the apprentice on a off day it replaces is he on or sumthing?????????,must be his period,which was superseded by a simple word apprentice add name here............... your a t...........but in thease politically correct times..........go with the flow

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i get it for gas and for water supply to the taps but what if i cut a central heating pipe, what will stop that water from running?

ok i get it for gas and for water supply to the taps but what if i cut a central heating pipe, what will stop that water from running?

If its a pressurised system them it will stop running on its own eventually, if its an open vented system then turned the main stopcock off will stop the system refilling and it will stop

If you catch the pipe with a saw and its only just slightly nicked it, grab your insulation tape and wrap it up like a man man possessed!

national grid use denso tape. handy to have to wrap around pipe. messy though!

make your apprentice lift the floor boards so you can blame somebody else.

You could buy yourself a 15mm pipe cutter and have a couple of 15mm push fit stop ends to push on to both parts of the pipe and keep these in the toolbox.

You will get wet but sometimes if it's too late by the time you've run down looking for the stop tap, flung out all the cleaning liquids and saucepans from under the kitchen sink and found it's not there but in another cupboard at the other end of the house you could much more easily cut the pipe properly and stuff the push ends on quickly.

Prevention better than cure though ... You can buy small twisty type mirrors and look under the floorboards with a torch to see where the pipes and wires are running so you know where to be careful.

DO NOT UNDER WHATEVER REASON DO ANY WORK TO GAS PIPE WORK !!!

it aint worth it ,just admit that something has gone wrong as it does to happen to all of us

i have been through cables few times

Actually been seriously thinking about this and I think that what you ought to do is the same as what us plumbers are always doing to you elecktrickery people when we burn yer cables and just shove em back leaving you to find the problem !!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pipe damage in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock