Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Pipe coupler issue - connecting two male fittings in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. EdwardTWells

EdwardTWells New Member

Hi there

I'm trying to connect two male 15mm x 3/4 inch pipe connectors together. Can anyone advise the adapter I need and where to buy it from? The problem is shown below.

[​IMG]

Note: This issue occurred because I am trying to tee off from the kitchen cold water pipe to supply an outside tap. I am using this product from Screwfix as tee (visible at the bottom of the picture above), but both ends of this part are male.

Thanks
    Edward

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Welcome to the forum.

Bit of copper pipe into the two compression ends. Although better to hard pipe rather than flexi's.

3. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Don't do a garden tap with flexis. Hard pipe with individual ISO and check valve

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I'm with Riley. But if you have no choice use a small piece of 15mm pipe with the union and olives you already have left over. Not ideal to use flexi's though rigid is better

5. EdwardTWells

EdwardTWells New Member

Thanks everyone for your very quick feedback!

1) Appreciate the advice regarding the hard pipe rather than flexi - I will replace that so only hard pipe goes to the tap.
    2) However, there is already a flexi-pipe going to the kitchen tap and that's what I am attempting to Tee off of. I still have the issue of connecting those two male connectors

@SimonG@SimonG thanks for your suggestion, although I'm not sure I understand :S How is the copper pipe going to stay fixed to those screws?

6. Plumbus

Plumbus Member

What about a Hexagon bush - Toolstation do them. 3/4 to 1/2?

7. Plumbus

Plumbus Member

Skip that - me not looking at the picture properly! Sorry.

8. EdwardTWells

EdwardTWells New Member

I'm amazed that such product isn't easy to find. It must surely be a fairly common problem, or perhaps I am doing something completely wrong:(

9. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

It looks to me like you're you're using the wrong sort of tee piece to try and join it all up. Any chance of a picture a little further back?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Harvest Fields

Before you removed the flexi connector there would have been a threaded nut(Union) with an olive inserted in to it. You put the 15mm copper pipe into the two things that you are trying to connect and tighten the nut and olives up onto the threaded parts of the fittings. That is how they stay connected.

11. EdwardTWells

EdwardTWells New Member

Hi Riley. Below is a picture of the kitchen water supply pipe before I separated it in order to try and fit in the tee join.

[​IMG]

It should give you the full picture of all the connectors involved. Full details of the tee piece are on Screwfix here.

Thanks

12. Riley

Riley Plumber GSR

Think a normal compression tee would've made life easier so basically you have 15mm grey pipe water in, compression tee, two 15mm copper stalks out of the two remaining gaps in the tee.

Isolation valve, copper, check valve, copper to garden tap.

Isolation valve, copper to kitchen tap

• Like Like x 1
  13. Harvest Fields

Good advice there. Would have been much easier to use a normal tee.

14. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

This would be what you appear to need;
    http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p24305?searchstr=1/2" socket

BUT it is NOT the correct fitting for the job.

Both ends need a compression nut, olive (compression ring) and then a single short piece of 15mm pipe.

You must have had 2 nuts and 2 olives with the tee?
    I assume you've joined the Tee to the nut / olive on the plastic pipe?

It would be simpler to put the flexi back as it was and fit the Tee into the plastic pipe using inserts in the pipe to stop it being crushed by the olives.

15. EdwardTWells

EdwardTWells New Member

Thanks for your suggestion. Another issue is that I cannot get good access to the plastic pipe - literally that connector you see in the picture is the limit of my access without taking appart my kitchen worktop. So i'd like to somehow put a T in there.

Will have to assess the situation when home this evening and review all the comments in this email to determine next step.