Discuss Pilot won't light in this weather in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MDJO

Hi.. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. When the weather is like it is today i.e. cold but more specifically very 'still' ; our boiler (condensing about 9 yrs old) will not work. Normally I can just manually relight the pilot but not this afternoon (switched on OK off the timer this morning and then proceeded to keep switching itself on at random times throughout the morning although the timer switch and thermostat were turned off..but thats another story :() Anyway, it the pilot wouldn't light at all (fan was turning, there was a clicking noise like it was trying to light, and a small amount of steam coming out of the outside vent but it just wouldn't light) I definately know its related to the outside weather as this happened last winter and earlier this winter but only on days like today, when there is 'no weather'. A friends plumber had also mentioned in passing that it is related to air pressue.
So, in a desperate attempt to get it going, i took my hairdryer outside and created some 'wind' next to the vent and voila, it lit. So can i ask, what is going on here? I don't fancy having to hairdry the vent every morning :D so my question is, is this an issue that can be fixed or am I at the mercy of the weather???
Many thanks if you can help (and any help on the mysterious self switching on would be also much appreciated)
Kind Regards
MD

You could check the vent pipe and the chamber if they aren't dirty or blocked. Also you could check the air pressure switch. Eventually the fan desn't produce enough flow but it's rather pointing to APS

loads of info on everything but no info on what the boiler make/model is.

like a needle in a haystack.

There are quite a few possibilities here - many of which I would have expected to be sorted by a good service. Does this boiler get an annual service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pilot won't light in this weather in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
Hi, can anyone help me resolve this issue with my ideal logic combi Esp1 35. It is making a very loud high pitched noise whenever the outside...
Replies
Views
Paul Scott
P
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but my family and I are starting to crack. I'll start at the beginning, and maybe someone will see...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I've just joined this forum as I'm desperately in need of some help. My elderly parents (81 and 77) have a Baxi Solo 3 pf60 and it...
Replies
Views
Hi All, First post here, so please be kind! I am currently having a lot of trouble with air and related noise in my open vented heating system...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon everyone, I hope you're all going to make the most of the sunshine today. For those of you in front of computers, and more...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back