Discuss PEX-AL-PEX for hot water return (manifold system) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Thanks both. Here are some pics. It's Pipex pipe, but their website wasn't very helpful. It seems to be used for UFH a lot, but assuming that's not an indicator as that runs at lower temperatures?

As the others have said, the multi layer pipe with the aluminium layer can be used for secondary return. The reason some manufacturers state their plastic pipes cannot be used as a secondary return is something like "Continuously circulating secondary return system are 'very different' to a heating circuit as the water is constantly replenished and circulated at high temperatures" or words to that effect.

I think the problem they have is that with a constantly replenished systems you are introducing fresh oxygen into the system and then circulating it at a constant high temperature.

These metal layer pipes are quite different from ordinary plastic pipe, even barrier pipe.

As the others have said, the multi layer pipe with the aluminium layer can be used for secondary return. The reason some manufacturers state their plastic pipes cannot be used as a secondary return is something like "Continuously circulating secondary return system are 'very different' to a heating circuit as the water is constantly replenished and circulated at high temperatures" or words to that effect.

I think the problem they have is that with a constantly replenished systems you are introducing fresh oxygen into the system and then circulating it at a constant high temperature.

These metal layer pipes are quite different from ordinary plastic pipe, even barrier pipe.
Thanks. I can see the potential limitations there. I'm going to try again to get a response from the manufacturer.

Here's a technical extract for our PERT-AL-PERT MLCP. Explains the lifetime in good detail.

Attachments

• 2efc0c06bcfc87b7d6bd60a72e38607e.png
    2efc0c06bcfc87b7d6bd60a72e38607e.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 24
Thanks both. Food for thought. Will speak to my plumber (who's concerned about whether it'll work, but hasn't seen it yet) and my builder - who has used it previously but...isn't a plumber!

Have you checked with the manufacturer if it can be used on potable water?
we get 500m coils of a very similar pipe to that, from Wunda floor. But it’s only been certified for use on closed heating circuits. That’s not to say it won’t work or leak. It means the company hasn’t put it through the testing process, needed to make it wras approved.
if it isn't, you could invalidation your insurance, if there was a problem and a claim.

Reply to PEX-AL-PEX for hot water return (manifold system) in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice please. Have been noticing recently some odd behaviour with our hot water system. If...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have two indirect water cylinders (Gledhill) connected to a gas boiler (Vaillant). The system is setup/programmed so that the tanks heat up...
Replies
Views
Please see the RED marked area; The Hot water service (HWS) rretun line having a Check valve what is the purpose of this valve here? also i can...
Replies
Views
Hi, We recently had the pressure tank replaced in our system as the old one started leaking. Since the replacement, I've seen two problems. The...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I had my gas combi boiler serviced last month and the engineer completed the job, filled out the paperwork and said it was in good...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock