Search the forum,

Discuss Peculiar one today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Cut a piece of what I presumed would be (and still suspect must be) imperial half inch copper that was in a tight space with little visibilit to replace the very old stopcock above it which had had a few repairs attempted on it and the customer just wanted a new one.

Cleaned pipe well. Felt it. Felt smooth and good. So cut it. Then found it was too thick to fit anything on it. Not even nearly. No olive or compression fitting or soldered fitting would even begin to fit on. It was just slightly too big. It wasn't distorted or buggered. Took bit I cut out to best local merchant and spoke to the guy who knows the most. He was confused too. His best guess was at some point it came slightly close to being frozen but didn't and had swelled in a bizarrely uniform manner.

A philmac sorted it but still, puzzler. Any ideas what it might have been?

Incidentally it went into a soldered stopcock. The other pipe that came out the other of the stopcock was imperial and stuff would fit on it. So whatever it was it did go into the stopcock, at least originally.

I had exact same thing once, frozen but not split and the pipe had swollen to a uniform size just too big for a fitting

I thought straight away maybe expanded when once frozen.
You will notice that a lot of modern cheap fittings & valves are a very snug fit, - even on new pipe. Modern brass nuts are grinding on the new copper as you turn them.
The Conex fittings & valves are a bit wider & their nuts are slacker on the pipe & ideal for joining to 1/2" or 1" copper, for example, which is very slightly bigger diameter than 15mm & 28mm & pipes that are very slightly expanded with freezing.
The way I test a pipe that has had a burst because of frost damage, is to take a brass nut and slide it up the pipe to see if it jams where a swollen part that isn't immediately obvious is.

Last edited:
had this before. old thick walled copper 1/2 inch had to buy 1/2 inch to 15mm end feed coupling was still a tight fit though.

had this before. old thick walled copper 1/2 inch had to buy 1/2 inch to 15mm end feed coupling was still a tight fit though.

had one on me and tried it, no way was it going on. looks like the frozen theory holds water. was just glad there was enough room for a philmac. if there wasn't i'd have had to remove kitchen cabinets and lift floor to find straight bit. don't think there was any way i could have known before cutting it.

i was going to say about the socket former but was beaten to it i lived through the change from imperial to metric and ive never seen a half inch to 15mm converter obbviously something theyve developed recently

15mm and 1/2 inch standard copper are boyh the same o/d
Mind you there is still alot of Rhodesian copper about from the 60,s
thin walled rubbish and all very funny o/d sizes
Us ols people on here will remember this stuff
I am %^ Centralheatking .
i was going to say about the socket former but was beaten to it i lived through the change from imperial to metric and ive never seen a half inch to 15mm converter obbviously something theyve developed recently

Honestly never seen or used one on copper - either end feed, comp, or yorkshire
when you get to 22mm and 3/4 inch its alot different

CHK

I love the stainless 1/2 tube for 70s it rocks my world . Usually on Fridays. I just tap the 15mm Yorkshire straights on to 1/2. 1" is a bit of a hammer though. Use a large flat faced hammer or insert a bit of scrap tube and hammer that to save fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Peculiar one today in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock