Discuss Payment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Seem to be getting recently a stream of customers who are either questioning invoices or simply taking ages to pay. Best of it is they are not big invoices just couple hundred however they just seem to ignore any terms i put on them.
The annoying thing is i seem to have a sudden batch of this and need to get this sorted any ideas?

seem to be getting recently a stream of customers who are either questioning invoices or simply taking ages to pay. Best of it is they are not big invoices just couple hundred however they just seem to ignore any terms i put on them.
The annoying thing is i seem to have a sudden batch of this and need to get this sorted any ideas?

P.O.C terms

Get an App where you can take payment on your phone as soon as job is done. I do it for a lot of customers and then I email invoice and VAT receipt to them.

i charge 15% per week until paid...
card machine is option, or get the hammer out the bag.
all materials paid on the day or before.

my unpaid jobs since 1990:
£80 doing some gas work for a *****.
£280 from an american national for cooker installs (closed shop)
about £200 from folk who complained at how much.
not bad over 36 years.

your too soft lad!

People are becoming tighter / penny pinchers lol
Times are hard

Have thought about getting card machine and however i seem to do it the cust seems to come up with some excuse lately to delay .
Problem being when you get a few the little jobs suddenly start mounting up .

Payment on completion, that's how it is. If they claim no cash in house then it's a trip to cash machine & extra cost.

The small invoices add up to a lot of not paid.

If you need the money Then you are going to struggle. If you can carry it, weather their storm
Not very good advise I know but it will work. The money will come

If you need the money Then you are going to struggle. If you can carry it, weather their storm
Not very good advise I know but it will work. The money will come

I don't need the money but would rather gently force payment

I find they always pay in the end; next time you stick them with a pro-forma or tell them to use someone else!

i charge 15% per week until paid...
card machine is option, or get the hammer out the bag.
all materials paid on the day or before.

my unpaid jobs since 1990:
£80 doing some gas work for a *****.
£280 from an american national for cooker installs (closed shop)
about £200 from folk who complained at how much.
not bad over 36 years.

your too soft lad!

I'm 36 but I don't remember being born in 1990.

Here we go had a email from a landlady who owes me few hundred quid

Goes like this,
ames I Have received this, this morning (see below) in view of these massive additional costs, I would be grateful if you would cancel the outstanding invoice.

EMAIL RECEIVED THIS MORNING

Below is a quote on the works as discussed.

To remove top flat boiler and moving it up so that washing machine will fit back properly as previous plumber put it in wrong position meaning the washing machine would sit out over 150mm

Cost of works including parts £250 .

To patch up plasterboard replaster hole where previous plumber drilled a hole in wrong position for that same boiler
Total cost £175 .

To redirect gas pipe that previous plumber put across chimney breast when he was told that no pipes were to be on show .
Total cost £525

I have also enclosed a photo of the flue previous plumber said was missing for downstairs boiler it was really well hidden in the wall outside close to where he drilled new hole so a new flue for this boiler was NOT required

i am sorry but i cannot absorb these costs into the build.

I have enclosed photos for you
Thanks

Darren

This is a load of rubbish to be fair god knows what the hole is about as already an existing flue hole in place , sounds to me that they have cut a hole in to fleece more money.

The boiler is in exactly the correct place and its the shock arrestor and /prv non return that protrudes .However they installed the first fix which has they tails coming out under the boiler which proves in correct place.

The gas pipe is also where the builder asked me to run it so basically its all lies.

The ironic thing is that they are not builders but a plaster and some random who went bankrupt.

They have also way overcharged her on works already by about 10 k

So thoughts please guys?

As we've always said I think you have to document everything so email back politely and tell her exactly what you've told us. You can't be held responsible for other people's work

Crikey! That's a really cheeky letter!
Seems the Landlady has become expert and judge on you and your work!
I would ask her plenty of questions about why she believes the "builders" and what evidence that you have caused any problems or missed anything, or done anything you weren't told to.

Here we go had a email from a landlady who owes me few hundred quid

Goes like this,
ames I Have received this, this morning (see below) in view of these massive additional costs, I would be grateful if you would cancel the outstanding invoice.

EMAIL RECEIVED THIS MORNING

Below is a quote on the works as discussed.

To remove top flat boiler and moving it up so that washing machine will fit back properly as previous plumber put it in wrong position meaning the washing machine would sit out over 150mm

Cost of works including parts £250 .

To patch up plasterboard replaster hole where previous plumber drilled a hole in wrong position for that same boiler
Total cost £175 .

To redirect gas pipe that previous plumber put across chimney breast when he was told that no pipes were to be on show .
Total cost £525

I have also enclosed a photo of the flue previous plumber said was missing for downstairs boiler it was really well hidden in the wall outside close to where he drilled new hole so a new flue for this boiler was NOT required

i am sorry but i cannot absorb these costs into the build.

I have enclosed photos for you
Thanks

Darren

This is a load of rubbish to be fair god knows what the hole is about as already an existing flue hole in place , sounds to me that they have cut a hole in to fleece more money.

The boiler is in exactly the correct place and its the shock arrestor and /prv non return that protrudes .However they installed the first fix which has they tails coming out under the boiler which proves in correct place.

The gas pipe is also where the builder asked me to run it so basically its all lies.

The ironic thing is that they are not builders but a plaster and some random who went bankrupt.

They have also way overcharged her on works already by about 10 k

So thoughts please guys?

I'm a bit confused, is this what they are saying against you and someone has quoted to put right your work?

I'm a bit confused, is this what they are saying against you and someone has quoted to put right your work?

Confused me reading it at first, but yes, I think that is the landlady saying she has received the additional costs and wants him to forget about his payment as this builder has said the following ......etc.

Last edited:
Confused me reading it at first, but yes, I think that is the landlady saying she has received the additional costs and wants him to forget about his payment as the builder has said the following ......etc.

Right got you. I would use 2 short words to them 1 beginning with F and the the other ending with 2 F's.

Who thought up those prices? How much to patch up a hole? What they using gold plated plasterboard? I plastered a whole room for less than that.

Right got you. I would use 2 short words to them 1 beginning with F and the the other ending with 2 F's.

Who thought up those prices? How much to patch up a hole? What they using gold plated plasterboard? I plastered a whole room for less than that.

Yes, I thought that the plasterboard repair was a lot of money, but maybe that includes the outside wall? Gas pipe to be rerouted is a lot at over £500 also.
I am suspicious of builders as he is obviously working directly for landlady and the builders can blame him on bad work to appear to be professional good guys and extract more money of landlady

If anything I would of thought moving the boiler up would of cost the most but maybe I'm too slow. Lol.

This is why i will not work for Landlords who do it as a career. Im sure there are a few that are half decent but most just want lowest price poss as its a business after all and im just not interested in playing their game im here to make money too.

It's a hole in the plasterboard that I never done that's what it is and they are saying I made a hole.
It's all utter lies they have rinsed the landlady a treat for loads.Now they are clearly trying to rinse more put of her.

How do you prove it all to the landlady?

She is fully aware we have had conversations over me not wanting to work there and she knows deep down they have fleeced her . However she isn't that bright very naieve so hard to prove.

In reality it should be under builders remit about covering pipes never worked with one yet that don't.

Pair of chances that need chinning but that won't settle invoice

This is why i will not work for Landlords who do it as a career. Im sure there are a few that are half decent but most just want lowest price poss as its a business after all and im just not interested in playing their game im here to make money too.

I work for 1 who has about 10 houses and he is brilliant never asks for a price and usually always pays within a couple of days (he does sometimes forget but a quick call and the money will be over that day) but others I know what you mean

They have made accusations against you, so I would refute all that are untrue and make accusations directly against what they are saying.
It is libellous to put anything damaging in writing about you.

I work for 1 who has about 10 houses and he is brilliant never asks for a price and usually always pays within a couple of days (he does sometimes forget but a quick call and the money will be over that day) but others I know what you mean
I agree there are some decent ones but few and far between. I have a couple of landlords but these are people who have met somebody and they have ended up with 2 houses and as such i would call them accidental landlords. My Dad has 9 houses in manchester and thats just a ball ache to look after them as i look after practically everything bar the roofs although the letting is pretty good.

In reality it should be under builders remit about covering pipes never worked with one yet that don't.

Pair of chances that need chinning but that won't settle invoice

Have you been to see the Landlady in person ? Or had a word with Builders ? :30:

Well if they are giving you some bad press, time to pay a visit and have some strong words, old style . bit of lead pipe or a couple of large mates helps !! :32: :90:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Payment in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks ok to me.....sound but the bowl has seen a lot of work. So she wants a new one...Astracast it seems are no more. The problem is its size.....looked...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock