Search the forum,

Discuss Part drain, complete drain or isolate single rad to fix weeping valve extension? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello Plumbers

I’ve replaced a 540mm high cast iron rad with 740mm high, like for like but still a 20mm valve extension was required.

All was ok until I've spotted a v small leak (like 1 drip per hour) between the valve nut and extension piece.

So I suspect I just need more PTFE + compound, right?

Main question is, as there's a drain cock below the lock shield valve (NB it's not an integrated/one piece drain cock/valve - see photo) is there a quicker way to drain this rad that avoids draining the whole system? E.g. TRV off, lockshield open + drain cock then open?

I'm comfortable with individually isolating and draining this rad but as it's got 20 L of water inside it will take ages.

So just wondering what the best method is that balances speed with faff and avoiding more inhibitor, if possible.

Helpful feedback is very welcome, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2477.jpeg
    IMG_2477.jpeg
    714.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2478.jpeg
    IMG_2478.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 20
You need to determine if the leak is from the rad valve tail into extension joint or from the 3/4 union to valve joint.

If extension joint, close both valves, put rubble sack under rad side of valve and loosen union, drain rad. Redo joint and install, open valves to refill.

If union, might just need a little tighten. Try a tighten first, wont need to drain anything.

Reply to Part drain, complete drain or isolate single rad to fix weeping valve extension? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock