Discuss Overflow dripping after water meter fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

At my request, my water company installed a water meter yesterday. The company said it did not need to access the property, so the installation was carried out while I was at work.
When I returned home, there was an air-lock in the pipes, so I ran the water from each tap for a minute or so to clear it.
I went out for the evening, and when I returned at about 10.30pm there was a large pool of water on the doorstep, and I noticed that the overflow was dripping.
This continued this morning. Is this normal? Will it clear up? And given that there was no problem before the meter was installed, is the water company liable?

Could be just coincidence but if they didn't need access to the property I'm guessing the water meter was fitted at the boundary stop tap, so they could have easily got dirt into the system which could be stopping your ball valve seating properly. Holding them responsible and proving it will be difficult though.

It might gradually break down and work its way through the ball valve but the likelihood is you will probably need either a new ball valve or a plumber to flush out the existing one

It might gradually break down and work its way through the ball valve but the likelihood is you will probably need either a new ball valve or a plumber to flush out the existing one
Thanks for your help, much appreciated. The service provided by my water company has been a disaster from start to finish.

Well unfortunately they can’t really be held responsible for a bit of muck getting into the water pipe. There are bits of grit and allsorts that work themselves into the system occasionally it could have happened at a later date it’s just sods law that it happened when they did the meter for you

Well unfortunately they can’t really be held responsible for a bit of muck getting into the water pipe. There are bits of grit and allsorts that work themselves into the system occasionally it could have happened at a later date it’s just sods law that it happened when they did the meter for you

Actually they can. I'd give em a call and they'll prob resolve it for you.

At my request, my water company installed a water meter yesterday. The company said it did not need to access the property, so the installation was carried out while I was at work.
When I returned home, there was an air-lock in the pipes, so I ran the water from each tap for a minute or so to clear it.
I went out for the evening, and when I returned at about 10.30pm there was a large pool of water on the doorstep, and I noticed that the overflow was dripping.
This continued this morning. Is this normal? Will it clear up? And given that there was no problem before the meter was installed, is the water company liable?
Do you know, I once left a bit of swarf in my pipe and it got into a ballvalve and stopped it sealing. It can happen. The shard of copper would be evidence enough.

Reply to Overflow dripping after water meter fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can I fit a water meter to this, and if so would anyone know what make and what I would need to do to fit it, picture attached
Replies
Views
Not exactly a plumbing problem but here goes. I have known for a couple of years there was a water leak somewhere between the water meter, on our...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I currently have an external water meter (which is a sub-meter) of my neighbours meter. The mains supply runs into their garden and then...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Back