Discuss open flue fire landlord inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

samwilko

Gas Engineer
I did a landlord inspection on an open flue gas fire on saturday. Its about 20 years old, never failed an annual inspection before. Passed flue flow and spillage no problem. When i checked in the loft i found the selkirk 5" flue came out the precast about a foot with about a 15 degree rise from horizontal, then to a 90 degree bend following pitch of roof then to a 45 degree bend up to a ridge terminal. no clips just duck taped to wood that had been screwed between the trusses. So thats, no clips, resting on combustible material and a 90 degree bend. I AR'd it as it was performing satisfactorily. Im convinced i ve done the right thing in AR it but you doubt yourself when its passed so many before!

I suppose if it's not leaking products of combustion then it must be at risk, take some photos show to landlord explain the consequences that he will go to prison now he is aware if anything happens and tenants are harmed.
Suggest fire removed and replaced with electric one

The landlord may be ok and isn't aware as its never been mentioned before, and up until now he is covered as he had gas Certs saying everything ok; your not alone the things I've seen that had previously been passed

Last edited by a moderator:
When I came down from the loft after being up there for about 15 mins trying to get my head around the fact it had passed for all these years and looking for something i must have missed the tenant said "why are you in the loft no ones been in the loft for the 6 years we ve lived here on the gas inspection".
That answered my question as to how its passed every year.

I will be recommending an electric fire but the trouble is its the only source of heat in the house and an electric fire probably won't cut it. Time for the landlord to dig deep i think.

I'm still amazed when there surprised I'm taking the forefront off to inspect the back boiler

Anywhere for a balanced flue wall heater them things give of great heat and economical ?
You watch that meter forever waiting for a full revolution of dial when gas rating

Last edited by a moderator:
And removing closure plate to clean out fire place opening, i reckon half of the ones i go to say they ve never seen that done before.

No mate, mid terrace small place, front is all kitchen and front door and back is all pvc and back door.

Them new electric heaters are meant to be good quite expensive, I did a job where he had his boiler removed and all the rads so he could get sparks in to fit these electric rads as he reckoned there were more economical

Anyway not really your problem your covered and can sleep sound you've done the right thing and the landlord and tenant know it's at risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to open flue fire landlord inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all Sorry for long post. I live in a house that's about 25 years old. There is an old gas fireplace that I having professionally removed...
Replies
Views
We've been pleased with our Worcester 36cdi installed in 2013. Over the past few years we noticed a low droning or rumbling noise which gradually...
Replies
Views
Evening all, At risk of blabbing on i'll try keep this short. I recently replaced an old vented hot water system with a unvented system We went...
Replies
Views
Last year I fitted an inset gas fire and when I left it was all working fine but I had a call to go and look at it yesterday and noted that the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock