Search the forum,

Discuss One radiator not heating up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grateful for any help with this one!:

A radiator in my little boy's bedroom barely heats up at all, while all the others in the house do. The feed pipe to it also barely heats up. The radiators before and after it in the chain (I think) do heat up.

However, the 'faulty' radiator does heat up more eventually (although not fully) if the radiator before it in the chain is turned off. The heat is concentrated at the top.

I have bled all radiators in the house except the two radiators preceding the 'faulty one' as the bleed valves on these don't fit my radiator key! They are on the top right rear corner of the rad and seem to have a smaller than usual turning pin.

I've had a heating engineer look at it all and he suggested that the 'faulty' radiator must just have sludge in it and suggests it is replaced. However, I don't want to rush into doing this if he could be wrong and if it actually might be something to do with air in the preceding in-bled radiators or some other issue.

Many thanks for any thoughts!

Depending on how diy you are you could remove said radiator and flush it through with mains water

Is there a TRV on one end of the rad? If so check that the pin is not stuck also rotate the spindle on the valve the other side. All the way off then back on again. Remember how may turns on this valve.

Thanks, Harvest Fields. I watched the heating engineer do both of these and he said they were ok... Also, would these being stuck also cause the feeder pipe to not get fully hot?

I guess, if these are fine, it points towards a new rad (or flushing the current one)?

Thanks, Harvest Fields. I watched the heating engineer do both of these and he said they were ok... Also, would these being stuck also cause the feeder pipe to not get fully hot?

I guess, if these are fine, it points towards a new rad (or flushing the current one)?
There may also be a blockage in the pipework.

Turn off all d other rads and see if it heats up. If it does, rads need to be balanced.
If it doesn't then it's some blockage or faulty trv. All d best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to One radiator not heating up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Could someone help with a issue I have been having with my vertical radiator. I have one vertical radiator in my bungalow and it does not heat up unless the surrounding radiators are shut off. I have tried turning the surrounding radiators down but the have to be completely or very...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had an electric boiler which heated all the radiators just fine, but around a few years ago i had a gas one fitted and the radiators in the living and...
Replies
Views
I have recently bought my own house and decided to redo the kitchen. There was a radiator in the room already but I wanted to move it. I extended the pipes (8mm microbore) and plumbed in the new radiator. I opened the isolation valves and filled up the radiator with no issues. I've bled every...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from within the radiator, when it heats up and cools down. I have opened the lockshield fully, lowered the boiler pressure from 2.5 bar to just over 1...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock