Search the forum,

Discuss old solid fuel Back Boiler leak? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone, im not sure if this is the right forum but here goes,
So i have noticed after getting my chimneys cleaned out that the soot from my kitchen chimney is damp and it looks like my old solid fuel back boiler has a leak of some kind. the boiler was put in when the house was built in 1981 so you could say its well past its prime. in the past few years i have never felt it was safe. The house i live in is very small and compact so heating is not an issue, i have decided though not to light the fire where the boiler is leaking for fear of it exploding! Ill eventually take it all out next year at some point anyway, i just have a question if anyone can help? My kithen fireplace that contains the old back boiler is directly behind my living room fireplace, (they are back to back) which i still want to use for lighting a fire, is there a risk in lighting the living room fireplace when both fireplaces are back to back? would the heat living room fire heat the back boiler in the Kitchen fireplace from the other side ??

any help with this is much appreciated

regards,
Seosamh.

Has the back Boiler been Isolated and drained from its water supply tank? I would advise this is done so the system is empty if you're using a open fire, we should be encouraging you to upgrade there are many electric panel type heaters that can possibly work for you. Kop

Reply to old solid fuel Back Boiler leak? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock