Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Old Plumbers... Get Yourself Checked Out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 53 years old ,have been plumbing since i was 16, I recently had a bad cold and developed a chest infection, the first batch of anti-biotics wouldn't shift it so they gave me a second dose and a chest x ray. I was mortified when they called me in to tell me i had "pleural plaques" caused by exposure to asbestos. The plueral plaques are not a problem (scaring of the walls of the lungs),its the other asbestos related cancers etc that they then start looking for, still going through tests , but thank god it seems i'm all clear.
If you worked back in the 70's & 80's in this trade get yourself checked out

Scary. Astbestos is still common, and generations to come will be exposed to it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Interesting post mate im 38 years old and remember one of my first jobs as an apprentice was putting in caulking bushes to ci soil pipe with
PC4 ..this was asbestos rope...the dust from this stuff was unbelievable but at the time we were told this asbestos was not dangerous!!! i think i may get myself checked out.cheers

know a few people in the industry who have it(but manage ok with the symptoms)and a few who sadly lost there lives to it,hope you get well soon rusty

Last edited by a moderator:
No recovery needed i'm fine, it just goes to show what can be spotted on a totally unrelated x ray, i've probably had it for years, it was just a shock to find out

i lost my dad to this 4yrs ago he use to work for a company doing food flavorings and this involved hot vats and stuff so the pipes that carryed the hot water were lagged which contained Astbestos and he was always having to poke the lagging back in to the holes in the walls and sometimes he help the lagger who done it full time who also died of the same. we watched him go down hill very quick and belive me its not a nice way to go so please do get checked out dont leave it.........

been stupid is just been me ,but please how can I get checked ! Did contract work two years ago for cancel and there was lots of panels behind the boilers ! plus ceilings and some old boilers we had to rip out ! never touched the asbestos flues or header tanks

Rusty good to hear your ok.
I attended a Asbestos course not so long ago and it was a bit of an eye opener.
If any one is not sure what it is or what it can be found in, then please find the time to read up on it. There is still a lot of it out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
So many things contain Asbestos its hard to avoid it in many older houses. Many people dont even know that some old plastic toilet cisterns and even some toilet seat contain Asbestos.
Older boilers are a big problem and i would suggest anyone removing or servicing appliances made before 1990ish would be advise to seek advise before touching them.

On the lighter side ...

Croppie? Are you taking note?

Re: Old Plumbers... Get Yourself Checked Out

Heehee!!!!

:p:p:p:p:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Still remember PC4 as a kid and working with sheet lead without gloves for years. I'm 46 now and my knees and joints are always sore, even though I left the trade for a few years. Glad things have changed for the kids nowadays and safety has been tightened up.

The risk with asbestos is when anything gets airbourne and is breathed in. Asbestos sheeting and gaskets on their own are negligible risk but if you take a power tool to them its a completely different story. Loose material such as lagging is dangerous if it is possible to disturb it and release fibres (dust).

The best way to stabilise asbestos fibres is to coat with something like strong PVA solution or paint which forms a crust on top (but don't use a powerful sprayer as this can spread fibres).

The most common form of asbestos where I live is on farm buildings and warehouses - They are clad with a kind of corrugated steel which was coated with an asbestos/bitumen layer (originally called "galbestos"). A lot of people aren't aware of its presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old Plumbers... Get Yourself Checked Out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock