Search the forum,

Discuss old pipes leave it or replace in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

falcini

hi everyone i am new to this forum my name is fabio and i am looking for some help
i am undergoing some home improvements and i am having a ceiling replaced when the ceiling was taken down i have had the chance to see the pipes that are running to the radiator and by surprise i noticed that these pipes are like silver colour at first i thought i was in trouble as i thought these pipes were made of iron then as i did not see any sign of rust i took a magnet to check if these pipes have iron but the magnet does not stick to them we have lived in this house for 25 years and never had a problem with this heating pipe system i dont know how far back these pipes were installed but this house was build in the 30's i found a dead pipe of the same material next to the fire place i cut it in half and it looks black in the inside but not sign of rust now the question is what kind of pipes are they? are they any good to guarantee many years to come or should i replace them with copper pipes calling a plumber sounds to me like i am going to be told that i have to replace them but i need a honest opinion as i am runnig out of money and i am puzzled whether i should really stretch my self and change all these pipes

this sounds like a pipe that was used during a copper shortage in the mid late seventies think it was called stabright if its not given any problems i see no reason to touch it however most of it nhas been removed long ago as it wasnt great tends to fail anywhere air gets in like open vents or cold feeeds

thank you i dont know what it is called but another couple of people mentioned some kind of name mixed with carbon apparently they are good pipes as they never rust but they could be a pain if you need to work on them every body says if they have worked so far dont touch them i hope you are right

Hmm!

Sounds like the stainless steel pipe we used in the seventies. Hard as rock and it could rust. But lets see now, I am not sure of its expected life, some say 100 years, I suppose it depends on its quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to old pipes leave it or replace in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock