Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Old Glow Worm 92/100 leaking gasket - help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

big_al

Hi, I have an old Glow Worm 92/100 which has to be c. 35 years old and just sprang a leak yesterday and closed itself down leaving us without any HW or heating.

On the front of the boiler there is the burner unit at the bottom, 5 chambers in the middle and one large chamber at the top (I've noticed that the boiler has got a few leaks - leaking out of one of the bolts on the large chamber at the top and out of two of the gaskets in the middle - I've got a British Gas chap booked in for Wed but may see if I can get a local plumber in before then as my missus is giving me some grief about our 4 year old daughter not having a bath!

I'm not too worried about the middle boiler chamber gaskets as I've got 5 of those spare but cannot seem to locate a gasket for the large chamber at the top as it is discontinued.

What's the name for the large chamber - is is the water manifold?
What's the name for the middle 5 chambers - are these the heat exchagers?
Anyone got any ideas where to try and get a spare gasket for the large chamber?
Is it worth trying to tighten the nuts up to see if that cures the problem?
Where would I go to find a reputable plumber in West Midlands B73?

I know it all needs replacing and have had a spec for a pressurised system drawn up but can't afford to do it just at the minute - so am looking to temporarily fix/botch up so it lasts to the summer.

Sorry I'm not sure what the proper names are to describe the bits but hopefully makes some sense to you guys and hope someone might have some ideas??

Have not re-built a domestic cast iron heat exchanger for years and would think to do so on a boiler in a condition you describe , would be un-economical,I can still rebuilds kingfishers,as have the 'o'rings that they used however would have problems locating any new sections now,would maybe have to use second hand,gaskets can be made but if section damaged ,would think you would not be able to get now,you will need to contact a older plumber to come round and inspect but it also depends on condition of burner and burner chamber,the days of 'botching up' gas appliances have well gone by,if ever they were and often attempted botches cost more in the not so very long run

Surprising what we can afford when we put our mind to it and you will make a big saving on expensive fuel bills

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old Glow Worm 92/100 leaking gasket - help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi Have a Glow worm Flexicom 30cx-Installed 2010 and regaularly serviced. Last service October 21. Works fine, with no issues. However it has...
Replies
Views
I am looking for some basic advice please My house is on two floors, approx 240m2 and a spacious loft with good headroom and access. Glow Worm...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
Got a Glow worm 18 flexicom with f22 fault. I've replaced both flow & return thermistors, bleed all rads of air, removed the pump and cleaned it...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock