Discuss Normal unvented indirect tank or high gain unvented indirect tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Trying to decide which cylinder to go for?

I am renovating my house which will end up having four bathrooms and a wc. I am planning to go for a 300l unvented indirect cylinder as currently I have a vented cylinder with a cold water tank in the loft and face issues with hot water pressure.

One of the things I am trying to decide is whether to go for a telford tempest, telford tornado or a Joule cyclone tank?

The other is that while speaking with the telford technical team, they told me about a high gain variant but I can't find any details online. I plan to use the cylinder with my vaillant eco fit 430 gas boiler. Will this support a high gain cylinder or am i better off with a standard unvented indirect cylinder?

Thanks

Before deciding you want to go for a mains pressure unvented cylinder have you first had your incoming main pressure and flow rates checked? If your incoming supply isn’t up to meeting your demands it changes the design of such a system drastically and could mean one of several approaches.

Before deciding you want to go for a mains pressure unvented cylinder have you first had your incoming main pressure and flow rates checked? If your incoming supply isn’t up to meeting your demands it changes the design of such a system drastically and could mean one of several approaches.
I haven't checked, I called the water company and they said that they only guarantee 1 bar pressure. I have put in an application to change the supply pipe into my home as the existing one is a lead pipe as per my builder and that I should have at least a 22mm pipe. Is there an easy way to find the pressure and flow rate?

If you had a pressure gauge and a flow cup you could measure static and dynamic pressure and the flow rates. Getting the incoming mains upgraded is usually the first step to ensure adequate flow and seeing as your current supply pipe is lead then it needs to be done for that reason as well.
PDHW or priority hot water is where the boiler and controls system priorities heating the cylinder before central heating. You won’t have both at the same time. If the heating is on and there’s a demand at the cylinder the boiler will transfer energy to the cylinder and then revert back to central heating. Very common procedure these days.

If you had a pressure gauge and a flow cup you could measure static and dynamic pressure and the flow rates. Getting the incoming mains upgraded is usually the first step to ensure adequate flow and seeing as your current supply pipe is lead then it needs to be done for that reason as well.
PDHW or priority hot water is where the boiler and controls system priorities heating the cylinder before central heating. You won’t have both at the same time. If the heating is on and there’s a demand at the cylinder the boiler will transfer energy to the cylinder and then revert back to central heating. Very common procedure these days.
Thanks for explaining PDHW, I thought that was the standard for any boilers these days. Do I need to do something specific in case of using an unvented tank? and do I need to go for Vaillant unistor tanks for this or can use any?

Anything specific in what sense? Any cylinder can be used but might change the controls needed if not a Vaillant cylinder. I’m an oil boiler technician not a gas engineer so I will leave it to @ShaunCorbs to guide you in that area 👍

Thanks for explaining PDHW, I thought that was the standard for any boilers these days. Do I need to do something specific in case of using an unvented tank? and do I need to go for Vaillant unistor tanks for this or can use any?
You can use it with any tank, providing you use the Vaillant sensor and keep the cylinder High Limit stat wired in series with the motorised valve. Should the Vaillant VR10 sensor fail the MV would cut out the flow to the cylinder.

I've done a few systems with PDHW with Vaillant controls and other control systems. It works well providing you know how the system works, it's configured correctly and the timings are set correctly. The Vaillant boiler will allow you to set your coil ratings and Flow temperatures through the D. settings.

I have PDHW on my own system using a Main, an older MegaFlo. On a 170L system my hot water recovers in about 10 minutes with a what i'd say is a 50/60% draw off.

Reply to Normal unvented indirect tank or high gain unvented indirect tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future...
Replies
Views
R
Hi there I am looking at changing my vented cylinder to an unvented 210L. I currently have a 30kw system boiler which I would like to continue...
Replies
Views
Hello! I have a new Vaillant boiler being installed and will install a new cylinder at the same time. Our installer is recommending a UK Cylinders...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock